Mixing Anthias

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day All,

I have a 120G (4x2x2) mixed reef. I currently have 2x Lyretail Anthias, both female, one is significantly larger than the other but no signs of transition as yet. I was thinking of adding 2-3 Bartlett Anthias to get a little more colour and movement, the Bartlett is a fish that I have always admired.

Other fish are:
1x Yellow Tang,
2x Ocellaris Clowns
2x Bangaii
1x Diamond Goby
1x Blue Damsel
1x 8 Line Flasher

Does anyone see any major problems with aggression etc. I feel there are enough hiding spaces, and at present I have no nutrient/water quality problems, NO3 stable at 5 and PO4 stable at 0.11

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bartletts are one of the more aggressive anthias so that would give me some pause. But it’s been done quite a few times and the bartletts are going to be the new ones so that should reduce short term aggression. Lots of people mix anthias with success. I might recommend a quick search for the other threads on this topic, as a starting place for research.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a huge fan of bartletts because they all turn male relatively quickly, and their colors tend to be pale long term in captivity (I've seen it in many very well kept reefs, and even at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach CA). I've had very good success in the past mixing lyretails, dispar, ignitus, and carberryi. I'd add at least one more small female lyretail so aggression from the larger one isn't focused on a single fish when it does start to transition to male.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a mixture of anthias who squabble at times , but keep them fed and provide hiding as in my case and should be fine. Try also to introduce in same time frame to avoid territorial issues

Back