Mixing barrels

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it hard to get soap solution residue out of plastic barrels? Local dealer has used storage barrels for the cheap, $15. Problem is the contained a soap mixture for car washes before. Would these be cleanable for mixing station?

Thanks

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked for the soap manufacturer I personally would not risk it, some of the acids and alkalies that they use are pretty mean and i am not sure how deep they impregnate the plastic. I do know that once used they can never again be used for potable water. Don't know if that was just a liability thing though. That all being said, they rinse out well with hot water.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for “food grade” barrels. You should be able to find them, they’re used for soda, olive oil, etc. even if you can’t clean them perfectly right away they are safer than barrels for industrial materials.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 hdpe shipping barrels from a pharmaceutical company last fall. They contained zinc chloride. I waved them out multiple times with soap and water and then a few times with baking soda and water and a little vinegar. They seem to be working just fine. My fresh ro container was measuring zero tds after one month of water storage. I don’t know for sure but I would think that soap and detergent would wash out too.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 240 litre (~60 gallon) plastic barrel with a screw on lid for $15 that was used to ship olives. I suggest spending the extra $15 and getting a food grade barrel. You'll probably spend near $15 on vinnegar etc. to make the soap barrel clean anyway.

Michael Cotellessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with a local barrel company they should have empty clean barrels just tell them you need non contaminated barrels or ask for food grade clean barrels with open lids so you can mix and empty with no problem

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out a hydroponic store. I paid $30 a piece and got 2 new 55's. One standard and one that the top comes completly off.
Any used food grade drum will work and can be found on craigslist.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back