Mixing Station Bench - Wife approved!

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed a mixing station as I got tried really quickly mixing in 20G barrels and wheeling them to the front of the house!
I live in a MDU community so yard space is at a premium.
It was just going to be a bench...(after multiple "suggestions" from the wife) "we should add a back rest" later it was "you should a place for plants"
Sooo...came up with this!
IMG_4170.jpg IMG_4175.jpg
RO on the right.
Filters will hang against the wall...middle of the bench will be a door so I could access the valves.
Top of the bench will have hinges and also the back rest.
Here's ruff idea of the plumbing...nothing is cut just to get an idea. Any suggestions on the plumbing?
Also building a table to hide the bucket of salt!
IMG_4179.jpg IMG_4181.jpg IMG_4180.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work! I like the multi-purpose elements!

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed a mixing station as I got tried really quickly mixing in 20G barrels and wheeling them to the front of the house!
I live in a MDU community so yard space is at a premium.
It was just going to be a bench...(after multiple "suggestions" from the wife) "we should add a back rest" later it was "you should a place for plants"
Sooo...came up with this!
IMG_4170.jpg IMG_4175.jpg
RO on the right.
Filters will hang against the wall...middle of the bench will be a door so I could access the valves.
Top of the bench will have hinges and also the back rest.
Here's ruff idea of the plumbing...nothing is cut just to get an idea. Any suggestions on the plumbing?
Also building a table to hide the bucket of salt!
IMG_4179.jpg IMG_4181.jpg IMG_4180.jpg
Very creative!

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put in a few unions to be able to remove for cleaning once in a while, especially the pump and the NSW bucket. otherwise, its a great setup! I am using the same pump and same buckets. I put in a 90 on the return for the mixing of the NSW to get a better flow.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very nice!

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kent float valve. no Electricity required. Awesome idea and it looks great

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @xAndrewx
I have a float valve installed already but I wanted something to "trigger" the RO system when water got low.
I’ve heard (not sure of still true) that having an RO unit turn on/off too frequently can damage it.
You may just want to consider filling manually when necessary and then if traveling hook up a float switch with a fail safe.

I don’t see it a lot, but I’m in the process of designing my mixing station and I will be adding an emergency overflow pipe to my containers. Since your set up is outside, maybe you want to consider something similar.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s true @Jgoal55!
That’s why I am considering the Tunze 8555 as it has an adjustable “low” float switches to trigger the solenoid to open and a high to close. Will also have a float valve as a redundancy.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my mixing station, I have a low water float switch, and a high water float switch, and then use my Apex to say "when low goes open, fill until high goes closed". I also have a float valve in there for safety. Not sure if any standalone units will let you do this, but maybe?

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what type of damage frequent on/off cycling an RO unit might cause. Do you mean real damage to the unit or moreso that the different medias will wear out faster.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@garbled would love to use my APEX but I have no way of running the cables to the mixing station outside!

@Gabe it has to to do more with TDS creep and exhausting the DI media with small products of RODI water!

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how far it is, or what kind of holes it would require, but you could buy an FMM, and then use like a 60' USB cable to run to the FMM, and then you would have 4 sensor ports, and a 24v output for something like a PMUP or solenoid valve there. In theory then, it's only the 1 cable, as opposed to trying to run a pile of sensor cables down there.

Alternatively, I suspect you could run bare float switch wires easily 100' or so before impedence became an issue.

Just thoughts here..

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@garbled not a bad idea...but!
FMM is - $90
Solenoid - $30
If I do optical sensors - $30 x 2
Or float switches which I have!
That puts me at $120-180
Then I have to rig a long USB cable which I could solder myself with cable rated for exterior use.
Or the Tunze which is on sale for 180 from BRS!

IF I go the FMM route...will definitely go the extra step with a DOS and auto water changes!

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never claimed it was cheaper.. however if you go with either extending the wires on the limit switches, or the FMM thing, then it at least leaves the door open for AWC later. Maybe run 1 1/4" tube with the wire when you are running it.....

BTW- that station is gorgeous.

Back