Mixing station pump help

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I opened up my jebao pump that I use right now for my mixing station and to transfer water from the garage to the tank. Here’s the problem:

the magnet inside the jebao pump is massively leaving metal stains all over the paper towel I used to clean it. I’m talking my ENTIRE napkin was GREY. This is not normal, and this is going into my distilled water and freshly mixed saltwater.

please, is this normal and acceptable post your tank pic because I’m trying to run a full blown acropora tank and I feel that I am leaching pump metals into the water and cannot keep acros because of it. Or at least part of the problem.

I recently got rid of two gyres because the magnets that are EXPOSED in the aquarium were leaving my napkins completely grey too.

I’m looking for a external pump that won’t break the bank, or to hopefully get some insight that this is perfectly fine.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I opened up my jebao pump that I use right now for my mixing station and to transfer water from the garage to the tank. Here’s the problem:

the magnet inside the jebao pump is massively leaving metal stains all over the paper towel I used to clean it. I’m talking my ENTIRE napkin was GREY. This is not normal, and this is going into my distilled water and freshly mixed saltwater.

please, is this normal and acceptable post your tank pic because I’m trying to run a full blown acropora tank and I feel that I am leaching pump metals into the water and cannot keep acros because of it. Or at least part of the problem.

I recently got rid of two gyres because the magnets that are EXPOSED in the aquarium were leaving my napkins completely grey too.

I’m looking for a external pump that won’t break the bank, or to hopefully get some insight that this is perfectly fine.
How old and what model are you using?

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, i have 2 of these and never had that issue.
Then again i dont run it externally.
Does it get too hot to touch?
I only run it when I’m mixing water or pushing RO to the reservoir.

try opening it, take the impeller out, and that magnet - rub it with a paper towel you will see that your paper towels literally turns black. That cannot be okay, right?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both Danner mag drive pump and a Pan World 40 both externally. No issues with either.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run it when I’m mixing water or pushing RO to the reservoir.

try opening it, take the impeller out, and that magnet - rub it with a paper towel you will see that your paper towels literally turns black. That cannot be okay, right?

I clean it often but dont have the same issue of the iron rubbing off.
Wondering if its getting too hot, or rubbing.....

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pumps specially designed to be run externally.
The jebaos are not.
Right the op asked for external pumps that didn't break the bank I answered that question.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean it often but dont have the same issue of the iron rubbing off.
Wondering if its getting too hot, or rubbing.....
Gotcha - it doesn’t ever get hot because it’s never on unless In use for a few minutes. Just frustrating that a lot of these pumps always rub off and I’m wondering if it’s the cause of a lot of peoples failures.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right the op asked for external pumps that didn't break the bank I answered that question.
Have you done the paper towel rub test on the impellers for those pumps? I really need a new one so I’m not hauling buckets.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what the paper towel rub test is. I used a pan world on my original mixing station for 2+ years and when I upgraded I now use a Danner mag 800. Both used externally and both used exclusively for their respective mixing stations. Never had an issue with either.
20220722_192844.jpg

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what the paper towel rub test is. I used a pan world on my original mixing station for 2+ years and when I upgraded I now use a Danner mag 800. Both used externally and both used exclusively for their respective mixing stations. Never had an issue with either.
20220722_192844.jpg
What I mean is, you take the impeller out, and that metal cylinder piece on the impeller rub it with a paper towel. Does the paper towel turn black (metal rubbing off of the impeller)?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha - it doesn’t ever get hot because it’s never on unless In use for a few minutes. Just frustrating that a lot of these pumps always rub off and I’m wondering if it’s the cause of a lot of peoples failures.
I have never had a failure on any of my jebao returns.
Then again RO is essentially a solvent and if its spending most of its time sitting vs running it could be some sort of chemical reaction from the pump material.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a failure on any of my jebao returns.
Then again RO is essentially a solvent and if its spending most of its time sitting vs running it could be some sort of chemical reaction from the pump material.
The pump works perfect - just the metal coming off the impeller prompts my concern - unless, this isn’t a big deal but how could it not be? I don’t know if you have moment to rub the metal part of the impeller with a paper towel to see if you can confirm on yours.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump works perfect - just the metal coming off the impeller prompts my concern - unless, this isn’t a big deal but how could it not be? I don’t know if you have moment to rub the metal part of the impeller with a paper towel to see if you can confirm on yours.
Ill check when i get home. I have one BNIB and one thats been running for about the same time as yours but constantly and in saltwater.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is, you take the impeller out, and that metal cylinder piece on the impeller rub it with a paper towel. Does the paper towel turn black (metal rubbing off of the impeller)?
Sorry never had any need to do anything like that.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry never had any need to do anything like that.
That’s what I thought too, but it was shocking to learn about. To me, it’s over time - what will happen with the continuous metals being added to our tanks.

random stn of a whole colony, fish dying out of nowhere, etc. etc.

I’m wondering if it has to do with the materials used for making the pumps.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought too, but it was shocking to learn about. To me, it’s over time - what will happen with the continuous metals being added to our tanks.

random stn of a whole colony, fish dying out of nowhere, etc. etc.

I’m wondering if it has to do with the materials used for making the pumps.
An icp analysis will tell you if its a problem or not.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back