OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An icp analysis will tell you if its a problem or not.
I did an ICP analysis on my DI water and they didn’t highlight any metals. Howver, I’m concerned about long term - five years, what happens with the continuous use of the pumps ? I have to do an ICP analysis on my display tank still to see if there’s anything there

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an ICP analysis on my DI water and they didn’t highlight any metals. Howver, I’m concerned about long term - five years, what happens with the continuous use of the pumps ? I have to do an ICP analysis on my display tank still to see if there’s anything there
Thats good. You might just be rubbing biofilm growth off the impeller mag.
My RO bin gets very dirty.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought too, but it was shocking to learn about. To me, it’s over time - what will happen with the continuous metals being added to our tanks.

random stn of a whole colony, fish dying out of nowhere, etc. etc.

I’m wondering if it has to do with the materials used for making the pumps.
Sorry for your losses. Hope you find a solution to your situation.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good. You might just be rubbing biofilm growth off the impeller mag.
My RO bin gets very dirty.
Ok so i just pulled my dcp-3000 pump from my rock curing bin. Its been running 24 months straight with no breaks.
I detected a little grey/black on the papertowel i used on the initial biofilm. After washing clean and wiping again with the towel in 2nd photo there is hardly anything "rubbing off" of the iron armature.
I believe Jebao has made leaps and bounds on their pumps and material. So many people use them without issue i dont think you have anything to worry about.
"If in doubt.....ICP to rule it out."

ATI ICP-OES Complete Saltwater Water Test Kit https://a.co/d/74x9JSQ
20220806_155449.jpg
20220806_155454.jpg
20220806_154527.jpg

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i just pulled my dcp-3000 pump from my rock curing bin. Its been running 24 months straight with no breaks.
I detected a little grey/black on the papertowel i used on the initial biofilm. After washing clean and wiping again with the towel in 2nd photo there is hardly anything "rubbing off" of the iron armature.
I believe Jebao has made leaps and bounds on their pumps and material. So many people use them without issue i dont think you have anything to worry about.
"If in doubt.....ICP to rule it out."

ATI ICP-OES Complete Saltwater Water Test Kit https://a.co/d/74x9JSQ
20220806_155449.jpg
20220806_155454.jpg
20220806_154527.jpg
Thank you for going through the trouble to do this!

So basically it doesn’t seem like an issue, just go for it and ICP test it - keep it clean and don’t worry?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for going through the trouble to do this!

So basically it doesn’t seem like an issue, just go for it and ICP test it - keep it clean and don’t worry?
IF that impeller is out of round or starting to fail the excess wear (grey stuff you are detecting) might be a warning shot for your specific pump. I trust you will keep your eyes on it. Can you take this pump off line when it is not in use so it isn't sitting in contact with water?

Keep us updated, especially if the pump / impeller fail. Hope it doesn't!

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF that impeller is out of round or starting to fail the excess wear (grey stuff you are detecting) might be a warning shot for your specific pump. I trust you will keep your eyes on it. Can you take this pump off line when it is not in use so it isn't sitting in contact with water?

Keep us updated, especially if the pump / impeller fail. Hope it doesn't!
Thank you!
Yes it’s actually connected to my water station plumbed in, I have to take the bulkheads off to remove it. What I’ll do is just drain the pipes every time now.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I opened up my jebao pump that I use right now for my mixing station and to transfer water from the garage to the tank. Here’s the problem:

the magnet inside the jebao pump is massively leaving metal stains all over the paper towel I used to clean it. I’m talking my ENTIRE napkin was GREY. This is not normal, and this is going into my distilled water and freshly mixed saltwater.

please, is this normal and acceptable post your tank pic because I’m trying to run a full blown acropora tank and I feel that I am leaching pump metals into the water and cannot keep acros because of it. Or at least part of the problem.

I recently got rid of two gyres because the magnets that are EXPOSED in the aquarium were leaving my napkins completely grey too.

I’m looking for a external pump that won’t break the bank, or to hopefully get some insight that this is perfectly fine.
Perhaps a used Iwaki? My mixing station uses an almost 20 year old Iwaki pump that stills works perfectly and delivers the water very quickly.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the pump I use for my mixing can. After over a year of pretty much non-stop running (It only gets turned off when I am filling the tanks on WC day) it was quite filthy. I took it apart a couple nights ago and scruffed it clean. I did not notice any grey matter in the sink while doing this. I also wasn't looking for it either. I was cleaning off the brown gunk that builds up from the IORC salt I use. LOTS of that, not so much grey that I saw.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back