Mixing station stand

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wood is recommended for building a mixing station stand? 50G on bottom, 50g on top. I’m leaning towards Douglas fir but if there is a consensus please let me know!

If anyone has built a stand like this and is willing to share their plans, it would be greatly appreciated.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wood is recommended for building a mixing station stand? 50G on bottom, 50g on top. I’m leaning towards Douglas fir but if there is a consensus please let me know!

If anyone has built a stand like this and is willing to share their plans, it would be greatly appreciated.
There are a ton of threads on building mixing stations. From the pictures it looks like most are using pine but Im guessing fir would be fine. I don’t know if folks are using pressure treated or how they might be sealing the wood.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ve seen dozens of pictures and setups, but no one is really talking about the type of wood used or how they were constructed structurally.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can paint the wood with kiltz oil primer to avoid getting mold from accidental spills. Im not sure what type of wood can be used. But 1by2in would work great. I used them to make my 29g stand. King if diy on youtube has a bunch of videos on building your own stands. Im sure you could adapt them for your own needs. Heres a pic of my friend and i building my stand. We added supports near the sides too
2F7858B5-DA2D-43DE-B292-F7CC89806984.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever dimensional lumber you can find that's straight and true. DO NOT use treated lumber. Although unlikely, any splashes/drips/etc could end up contaminating your water.

Use the standard RocketEngineer plans and you will end up with a stand that can easily hold way more than it ever will.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back