Mixing Station

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my current "mixing station" consists of a 32 gallon trash can in the garage with ro/di water and 5 gallon buckets to mix salt. This works for my 40g tank, but I'm building a 180g and 5g buckets arent gonna cut it. So I decided to put a mixing station next to where the tank will go in my office. Luckily this room shares a wall with the laundry room where the ro/di unit is so its a simple up and over through the wall to where the mixing station is to be built.

I spent a lot of time researching this. I decided to go with 32 gallon brutes, would have liked some of the square type containers but felt I would better spend the money elsewhere. I found a lot of designs but settled on this design I found.
IMG_E2101.JPG

I started designing in fusion 360 and came up with this

IMG_2110.JPG

You will notice I added some addition supports from left to right that arent in the original design.

And then the plumbing.

IMG_2210.JPG

Since the tank is going to be next to the mixing station, I figured I could use the pump to take water out as well.
I also decided not to paint the wood since I will eventually use some type of skin and magnets since this will be inside the house and "furniture," the aquarium stand is metal and will do something matching as well. I did the entire stand out of 2x4 and 3/4 board.

UYFV1080.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

I decided on 3/4" plumbing. lots of valves and unions......
IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

I coated the boards in a spray plasti dip to reduce water issues. You will notice I drilled a hole in the center, when actually plumbing, I decided to then move the 32g brutes to one side instead of centered to keep all the plumbing inside the stand for when I skin it.
IMG_2201.JPG

After initially building, it was too short, well it fit, but trying to take the lid off the bottom can became a pain and didnt give enough room so I added a 2" piece of wood to each inside leg.

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

used bulkheads in the bottom.

IMG_2224.JPG

I added a hose thread to this to allow hoses to be attached.

IMG_2231.JPG

I also added some felt pads to the bottom to not scratch the hardwood too bad.
IMG_2232.JPG

I have the same pump on my mixing station as I am going to use on my build for some redundancy. Also went with flex tube on the inlet and outlet to reduce vibration.
IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2233.JPG

I have a 4-channel power strip on the way. I have water tested both systems and it works with no leaks. There is approx 30 gallons in the top container as we speak.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work! I like the design. Just out of curiosity does the bottom lid come off for cleaning purposes?

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! I like the design. Just out of curiosity does the bottom lid come off for cleaning purposes?

Yes it is removable for me to clean, add salt, etc. The tube going down from the valve is not glued in, I have also tested and found that even if the tube falls out while draining from the top into the bottom that it will flow straight down through the hole in the lid. Initially I had wanted to do a uniseal on the top but decided against it as this will become very difficult to remove.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s mine. In garage. Same concept. My RODI comes through the wall into my top 50 gallon can. Gravity fed to salt station below. Separate valve on side for RODI to bottles or whatever.

below is the circulation pump which ties into a valve for 3/4” tubing to fill Random stuff with salt water. There is also a valve that feeds the sump of my tank in the house for water changes.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s mine. In garage. Same concept. My RODI comes through the wall into my top 50 gallon can. Gravity fed to salt station below. Separate valve on side for RODI to bottles or whatever.

below is the circulation pump which ties into a valve for 3/4” tubing to fill Random stuff with salt water. There is also a valve that feeds the sump of my tank in the house for water changes.

image.jpg
I contemplated going side by side, but really wanted to limit the space and decided to go vertically. I initially wanted a 2x2 space but ended up going 30" x 24" to be able to get the trashcans out if I ever need to. at 2x2 I would literally have to build the bottom can in with the extra bracing for the top.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. If space was a premium and mine were inside I would have done the same. I also just used spare crap I had laying around to build it. Yours is pretty nice.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to move the station to install a GFCI in the outlet next to it....Those are a pain btw...

Anyway I got the ADJ PC-4 power station as well so I mounted it, put a heater in, thermometer and mounted the wires/power brick on the pump. Turned out pretty well in my opinion.
So I will get it into position and then move the stand in.

IMG_2272.jpg 1601071366337.jpeg IMG_2274.jpg 1601071448155.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back