Mobius Questions

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some of these are not answerable yet .....

1. I assume that ETM equipment installed with the black communications card allow both möbius use and backwards compatibility with things like ReefLink and WXM? If kit with these cards has been available for a while they must be backwards compatible.
2. I wonder if ETM will be able to shut off backwards compatibility once mobius is fully live? Conspiracy theory stuff perhaps, but if it occurs to me perhaps worth asking.
3. Is there any way to determine green versus black card inside radions, Vectra or vortech without physically taking stuff apart and looking? Seem to recall there was a way to view in ecosmart live - though cannot now recall how.
4. Any early indication of the cost to upgrade to the newer chips? I’ve 5 gen4 pro radions and 8 vortechs at home so at $50 a pop there better be a really compelling reason to do it otherwise I’ll personally pass.
5. I did note that with möbius, older radion fans can be controlled in a way not possible with reeflink. Any other interesting capabilities already known?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go into the the device view in ESL web and view its info, it should say if its compatible with Mobius. Don't think you can view it through the mobile app version.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would like to know if my radion g4 pros are compatible with mobius then I will not sell them, still in their original boxes never opened.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not able to get anything hooked up to mobius including my g4's that have the chip.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am not able to get anything hooked up to mobius including my g4's that have the chip.
It might just be something in the software of the mobius app that's not allowing it to come up, I would just like to know if there will be something in the near future for this, can ECOTECH answer any of these questions, or do we have to get the gen 5s to be able to use the mobius app, I preferably would like to use the app, as my AI app is fairly easy to use and I have not had any issues with connectivity.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apple store says support for Radion G5 was added 18 hours ago.
I wonder how many Vortechs or Radion G4s are out there compared to Radion G5s. Doesn't seem to be a very smart move on their part to me.

U

User1

View Badges

I'm not current with ETM but I thought it was using bluetooth and assumed everything new would have it as a base. Somethings may or may not be upgradeable. With G4's being around for a while it is one that I figured wouldn't be possible unless they provided an upgrade. What are they using, Bluetooth le or something? May help to know when that was finalized and dates of their products to maybe help.

Again - no idea here just seem to recall putting in the back of my mind that newer equipment would be first compared to older but not having any ETM gear I very well could be incorrect.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hope they add g4 app soon, I would hate to get rid of such a good light and have to get something else.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Someone did however tell me at reefaplooza Chicago last year that the gen 4s will be compatible with mobius, hopefully that was true and not a gimmick to buy the g4pros, that was from an ecotech employee or staff at the booth, fyi. That is partially the reason why I bought the Gen4pros, now I have four of them in boxes unopened just sitting around hoping the app will feature them.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the dosers and g5s work, they won't say when legacy equipment will be supported. Vortex not until the new versions are released.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will he able to upgrade the gen 3 to mobius as well with the chip upgrade.

As for the Mobius app itself, there is not date set yet as when you'll be able to control the rest of the Mobius ready devices as of yet as certain kinks are being worked out.

The game changer will be when all mobius compatible devices will run independent from the reeflink.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, any device that has a removable chip can be upgraded. Ideally it would be great that they rewrite all software, but I suspect they will draw the line somewhere.

It would be nice to know cost of that upgrade. It’ll be part of the calculation for me to stay with radions (of any gen) or migrate elsewhere. I find the trend to less interoperability irritating frankly.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back