Mobius Questions

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore
Maybe some of these are not answerable yet .....

1. I assume that ETM equipment installed with the black communications card allow both möbius use and backwards compatibility with things like ReefLink and WXM? If kit with these cards has been available for a while they must be backwards compatible.

I think it comes down to software upgrade. The black chip is just the means to communicate in the mobius universe, the software for each device is what makes it compatible to mobius. The way it is now, once you upgrade to mobius, it is difficult to reverse the process. Although, as I understand it, can be reversed. But the way the software is now, it's mobius or wxm/reeflink. Perhaps they will have versions of software that allows, one or the other. Not sure

2. I wonder if ETM will be able to shut off backwards compatibility once mobius is fully live? Conspiracy theory stuff perhaps, but if it occurs to me perhaps worth asking.

That is also software related, once you update to mobius you wont have connectivity to wxm/reeflink. Although G5s is ONLY compatible with mobius, legacy equipment that is now compatible with WXM will still work with it.

@siggy ,
The latest version of Mobius will only offer control to the G5s, the G4s will not yet be compatible, it seems they're still revising that software.

3. Is there any way to determine green versus black card inside radions, Vectra or vortech without physically taking stuff apart and looking? Seem to recall there was a way to view in ecosmart live - though cannot now recall how.

4. Any early indication of the cost to upgrade to the newer chips? I’ve 5 gen4 pro radions and 8 vortechs at home so at $50 a pop there better be a really compelling reason to do it otherwise I’ll personally pass.

There has been rumor that the chips will be offered at cost.

5. I did note that with möbius, older radion fans can be controlled in a way not possible with reeflink. Any other interesting capabilities already known?

Perhaps someone with experience with reeflink and mobius can chime in. I personally only used Apex and now mobius. However, even those that are using mobius beta will not know what the public released version is going to be. It was said that there is a divergence between the 2.

It is also projected that mobius will roll out new updates on a monthly basis. Hoping that means that it will slowly integrate legacy equipment as well as new stuff that they may have waiting in the wings... It seems that there is a method to their madness, we just don't know what it is quite yet.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have confused me a bit. Are the 3 new Vortechs I bought in the last 6 months going to work or not?
Late last year it was Just 1 or 2 more months and the new pumps are already compatible.

Did I make a big mistake?

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have confused me a bit. Are the 3 new Vortechs I bought in the last 6 months going to work or not?
Late last year it was Just 1 or 2 more months and the new pumps are already compatible.

Nobody can 100% answer that but you.... log into ecosmartlive and check under the information tab for each device inside “devices”... it tells you if it’s Mobius compatible....

For what it’s worth you have not made a mistake. Weather the pumps you have are controlled by the latest Mobius or Ecosmartlive you still have great pumps in your hands. Do get a little confused when people are saying they have made a mistake like these, it’s simply a control platform, it will be nice I’m sure but I can’t see how using one or the other makes the product itself a bad choice.They are great pumps in my opinion.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have MP40 from 2018 and on EcoSmartlive they show up as Mobius ready. You should be fine, also I do have Radion from 2018 and they also are Mobius ready.

FCCFD170-85FF-4EC4-B551-9962872FE57E.jpeg
6805EC62-E23F-42C1-AE40-848BEB9EC763.jpeg

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody can 100% answer that but you.... log into ecosmartlive and check under the information tab for each device inside “devices”... it tells you if it’s Mobius compatible....

For what it’s worth you have not made a mistake. Weather the pumps you have are controlled by the latest Mobius or Ecosmartlive you still have great pumps in your hands. Do get a little confused when people are saying they have made a mistake like these, it’s simply a control platform, it will be nice I’m sure but I can’t see how using one or the other makes the product itself a bad choice.They are great pumps in my opinion.
I have 2 MP40s and an MP60 and was about to buy a second MP60. I did not get a Reeflink because Mobius was here. These pumps were built in 10-2019 and 1-2020.
Above it was mentioned new Vortechs are coming. Which would place the ones I just bought in the legacy category probably.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40s and an MP60 and was about to buy a second MP60. I did not get a Reeflink because Mobius was here. These pumps were built in 10-2019 and 1-2020.
Above it was mentioned new Vortechs are coming. Which would place the ones I just bought in the legacy category probably.
Understood, but it’s still not a mistake to buy these and I would say you should go out and get your new MP60 too. It’s much like the Radion thinking that everyone has going on.... yes there are new gen 5’s but this does not change the fact the gen 3/4 is a proven great bit of kit that can grow a tank. The Vortechs, weather a new design comes out in the next few months or not are one of the best pumps available and can be controlled one way or another weather it be Mobius or not.
I imagine you will have no issues getting all of you’re equipment on Mobius based on dates, but is it really an issue if you had to use ecosmartlive instead?
I have 4 MP40’s, 2 MP10’s and 2 Radions.... am I looking forward to playing with Mobius, definitely, am I fussed if I did or not, nope.... these lights and pumps are what make my tank thrive as it is. It won’t change by simply using a different portal to change what I don’t need changing anyway. I am about to pull the trigger on another MP40 myself and when I do I won’t hesitate due to Mobius, it’s just a control platform, nothing else, the water these pumps push is what makes them so great for me and that happens regardless of what app I click or UI I use.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Opps! Sorry Ned Just messing around. I have been hearing about Möbius for a year and held out buying the reef link,
wile waiting I had seen that only the new stuff was supported and ZERO answers regarding all the existing equipment.
Also, a couple of beta testers said Moby was a dic-tater and went back to using the Reef link, so I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and really like it. I hardwired it (E-net) and it was easy. Moby is on the phone and I like the PC screen to set everything up, Im sticking to using the reef link. I picked up 2 mp10's for the back and needed something other than crickets :rolleyes:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW My first mp40 is compatible and that was purchased about 3 yo.
I sure hope it isn't another three years for Moby to breach

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been controlling my vortechs with WXM for years and it works really well. Will be interesting to see whether mobius does anything that WXM cannot. Not sure what that would be, but the ETM folks are cleverer than I am so we shall see.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legacy devices should be added in 1-2 months. G4 is compatible so long as it has a compatible RF module. Some early G4 had the old green RF module. G3 is also compatible with the upgraded chip. Earlier Radions, even if the upgrade kit to G3 was done still will not be compatible and are not upgradeable.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both of my MP60qQDs, which are years old (I buy used), are compatible with Mobius. So are my gen 4 pro Radions.

This is as a beta tester though, so I don’t know if they fully ironed it out for release.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The vortechs should be compatible and Mobius Ready. If in doubt, open the controller and look at the attached RF chip. Black means it is good to go. Green means the RF module needs to be upgraded. I would bet money that yours are okay. Here is a pic of the driver board with the old green RF chip. Dont hesitate to PM directly if you have questions as well.

7cb7fd7bf045d68053f217a18ea4ef69.jpg

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical things don't scare me. All my Vortech are new, so I am sure they are fine. If not I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
IMG_2316_heic-M.jpg

Wish I was good at programming.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have an old MP10 with the white driver running in the refugium. I am not new to Vortechs. I had never seen an MP60 till I bought one and was afraid it would be too much. The Ecotech estimator says 2 MP40s will run my tank. Nope. Gorgs turned brown after 2 weeks. I could not find much info on using MP60s except on tanks much larger than mine.
Brown is gone. This light colored one is my problem child.
IMG_2317_heic-M.jpg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m confused about is that my MP60s were bought used- production date around ~2016, and also work with Mobius.
I guess that goes to show you how far back they had this idea, and have been working to bring it to market.

Back