Modifying Innovative Marine APS stand

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I purchased the IM APS stand for my Deep Blue 60g rimless tank, knowing the dimensions would be a bit shy for this tank, but figured I could modify it to work.

So, which is more structurally sound:

1. Just attach a piece of plywood that fits the dimensions of the tank directly to the top of the stand? The stand is shy about 3/4" front to back in width and 1" to 1.25" in length end to end. So, the plywood would be unsupported by 3/4" in the back (I would keep the front flush with the existing edge of the stand for aethestics if possible) and 1/2" to 3/4" on each end.

2. Fasten some 1x4 as an outer frame around the two sides and the back either with or without an additional leg to support the 1x4 frame fully, and then place my piece of plywood on top of the stand with the frame so the plywood is also fully supported.

If option 1 is sound, what thickness of plywood would safely support the tank? The tank does have bottom plastic trim.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’d be absolutely fine with option 1. 3/4” ply is probably overkill but you might as well :)

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’d be absolutely fine with option 1. 3/4” ply is probably overkill but you might as well :)
Good! This is obviously the easier of the two options anyway. Just gotta find some fasteners that will screw into the aluminum frame of the APS stand, paint and seal up some plywood and we should be well on our way.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back