Modifying Rocket Engineer stand for in-wall build

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be building a stand for an in-wall tank, and I have to factor in the bottom 2x4 of the wall to get the tank flush. Does this modification to the RE stand look ok? Yellow boards are added (and the top frame changed a bit to accomodate) and would sit on top of the wall's bottom 2x4. Wall studs would fit into the open space. I plan to either attach the yellow legs to the floor board with angle brackets, or run another board across the whole stand to tie them into the purple legs.

Also, I removed the cross braces for the picture, but would use them in the actual stand. And apologies for my poor modeling.

stand3.png

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks workable to me if I am understanding it correctly. Hopefully a real engineer will chime in, as I am not one!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tying into an existing wall, you don’t need the red board on that side. You will need to frame out the opening so use those studs as legs instead of doubling up the purple/yellow. There only needs to be one leg in each corner. HTH.

OP
OP
HeyJay

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tying into an existing wall, you don’t need the red board on that side. You will need to frame out the opening so use those studs as legs instead of doubling up the purple/yellow. There only needs to be one leg in each corner. HTH.

Appreciate the input from the source! So are you saying to frame out the opening independently and build a stand that's 3.5" less deep than the tank? Or still tie it in to the top frame of the stand as in the picture?

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still tie it in but use the studs you need anyways to your advantage.
RE - Great to see you on this forum!!! Two years ago someone was asking for stand advise, and I had mentioned you, hoping someone knew you and could have you participate here. Seems like you have been on here almost a year now.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved to a new house about a year ago and started planning my next tank so I joined this forum as it’s more active. Tank is still in the crate though....

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the rebuilt of our in-wall stand for the new tank this weekend. Did you mention the size of your tank?

How does the tank extend through the wall? If you are going over the sill plate for the wall at the bottom, make sure it's actually level to your base. Our stand is in a support room off the garage and goes through the wall. The floor is not level to the lower wall so your yellow tie-in's may not fit how you think?

For our in-wall stand, the top extends through the opening in the wall and sits on the opening. The four leveling posts allow us to align to the wall and clear the overhang.
standdetail.jpg

IMG_9749.jpeg
IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1550.jpeg IMG_4050.jpeg

OP
OP
HeyJay

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the rebuilt of our in-wall stand for the new tank this weekend. Did you mention the size of your tank?

How does the tank extend through the wall? If you are going over the sill plate for the wall at the bottom, make sure it's actually level to your base. Our stand is in a support room off the garage and goes through the wall. The floor is not level to the lower wall so your yellow tie-in's may not fit how you think?

For our in-wall stand, the top extends through the opening in the wall and sits on the opening. The four leveling posts allow us to align to the wall and clear the overhang.

The tank will be 5x2x2. I'll be using 2x6 for the top frame, though that's not in the picture.

The intent is to put this stand right on top of the bottom sill plate, that's what the yellow overhang is for, with a 1.5" difference between the end of the yellow legs and the bottom stand frame.

Edit to add: Everything is on the same concrete floor. The tank will be in a basement laundry room in an otherwise finished basement. The wall frame and sill is already exposed.

Last edited:
Back