Molting red legged hermits

Chukthunder

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Messages
133
Reaction score
185
Location
Merrick
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two red legged hermits in my FOWLR climbed to the top of rock piles to molt and wait out their shell hardening. They're basically motionless except for their eyes peeking out and retracting for days now.

I looked this up online and found an article that said hermits hide under the sand and rocks when molting: http://www.seashellshop.com/Hermit-Crab-tips-MOLTING/

Anyone have thoughts as to what's up with them climbing and perching to molt, is this cause for worry?

Thank you.
 
Hummm. I don’t know much about it, but what are your options other than to wait it out, and hope to be pleasantly surprised? (Lol!) Best wishes :)
 
I'm hoping this is what happened to one of my red legged hermit as well when I noticed what looked like a carcass of the hermit just sitting on top of sand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new