Mombasa Lionfish

giovanni3122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. I am new to R2R.... I have a 220 FOWLR tank set up and I am in the market for a Mombasa Lionfish. Seems they are hard to come by. Anyone know of a place that sells them?

Also, would be interested in hearing from anyone that has a Mombasa. Anything you can share about this awesome looking fish? Eating habits? Good Tank Mates? Personality? Would love to see some pics posted as well.

Thank you.

My Tank Mates:
Fox Face
Flame Angelfish
Saddleback Clownfish
Long Nose Hawkfish
Sailfin Tang
Porcupine Puffer
Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse
Black & White Heniochus Butterfly
Diamond Goby
Juvenile Queen Angel
Juvenile Emperor Angel
Pearl Scale Butterfly
Hepatus Tang

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only are mombasa lions hard to come by, they are near impossible to survive. I'm not sure why these particular lions don't survive, but every one I have seen was in terrible condition. I personally have tried 2 and another arrived doa at the lfs . One I had I suspected cyanide, the other was so far gone with internal parasites he only survived a couple of days. They are also the type of lion which likely needs at least a live supplement in their diet, that would be impossible in your tank. For you tank a volitan lion would be a much better fit, with the exception of the hawkfish none of your choices would be threatened. A volitan is mostly easy to care for, needs to be stick fed or trained to take food dropped in directly for them to eat, eating a variety of chunky foods; shrimp, squid, siversides and other seafood choices that can be cut into chunks.

OP
OP
giovanni3122

giovanni3122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Definitely trying to research and learn more about them.

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased one from liveaquaria.com and it came in great shape. I would say he is still getting used to the tank though. He is mostly perched on the rocks and doesn't swim around much yet. He doesn't bother any of my other fish (bicolor angel, valentini puffer, melanarus wrasse, clown fish, cleaner wrasse, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, and assorted snails). I am trying to get him to eat frozen foods though ao he hasn't eaten yet but I heard they can go a while without food.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased one from liveaquaria.com and it came in great shape. I would say he is still getting used to the tank though. He is mostly perched on the rocks and doesn't swim around much yet. He doesn't bother any of my other fish (bicolor angel, valentini puffer, melanarus wrasse, clown fish, cleaner wrasse, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, and assorted snails). I am trying to get him to eat frozen foods though ao he hasn't eaten yet but I heard they can go a while without food.

If he is healthy without internal parasites, he will be eating whatever fits in his mouth. You have a few things in your tank that could likely be on the menu. A healthy lion usually eats as soon as its in the tank. Unless that cleaner shrimp is huge, and he's an itty bitty boy, he should have been eaten the 1st night. If you wait too long to offer him live food, treat for internal parasites immediately if needed, it will be too late.

OP
OP
giovanni3122

giovanni3122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention Live Aquaria.... I recently purchased a Mombasa from them and it did not last the weekend. I acclimated him properly, dimmed down the lights on the tank, but you can see right from out the box, he was not right. I had bought live ghost shrimp as that is usually the food of choice for them before trying to go to frozen, but he would not go for them. Day one he hid behind rock, which was to be expected. Day 2 and 3 and he was out, sitting in the corner not moving around too much. The ghost shrimp at one point were sitting on him and right in front of him and nothing. Unfortunately the morning of day 4 he was dead. Unless I can get one from a local place, not sure it would be worth the hassle or the fishes life to try and find another one.

Hope yours starts to eat.... Good luck with him!

OP
OP
giovanni3122

giovanni3122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Lion King did warn me about their chances to survive as did most of my research. It was one of those things that I received an email and took a shot. He was nice looking and a nice size, but as soon as hit the water I could tell he wasn't right.

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I definately agree with all of you. He was the reason I set up my saltwater tank to begin with though. I have another tank that is freshwater with African cichlids but once I saw the mombasa I had to get one. I actually think he ate the goby though. Although he usually hides in the rock he would always come out for feeding.but lately he is mia.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back