Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't the Melamine Sponges break down?
I have used the around the house and they do a good job but as you use them they get smaller, or they did for me!

They’ll tear is used on sharp objects like live rock. In glass, you’re just fine. Also, at $0.10 a sponge, you can afford to toss after a few uses

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure Flipper makes a plastic scraper that is for acrylic. i like my flipper for glass, works great and has replaceable scrapers tips

I have a scrapper. Love it. But not needed for weekly wipe downs. Sponge I find is easier and faster on the new growth. I bust out the scrapper when I’ve let a section go for a while

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use sponges on the inside of the tank, instead of a mag float that's a one time purchase?

Because I hate those things. If you pull it away and the cleaner detaches, it reattaches really roughly. Also, my glass is 15mm and if need a big ugly one.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scrapper. Love it. But not needed for weekly wipe downs. Sponge I find is easier and faster on the new growth. I bust out the scrapper when I’ve let a section go for a while

the thing with the Flipper is that it had both a scraper and a pad side. you can flip between either side as needed, hence the name flipper

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t like em on my tank. I think they’re ugly. And I don’t like the way they reattach.

to each their own i guess lol. for me it keeps my hands out of the tank at least

I also keep mine behind my powered in such an angle that it is completely blocked by it, so I don't see it in the usual viewing angle

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn to brew beer.. Not only will you save money on beer but you can use a lot of the equipment for reefing. My brewing buckets are good for mixing salt water, my mash paddle is good for mixing, if I need to heat a large amount of water for an emergency water change my brew kettle and gas burner can handle 20 gallons of water at a time. RODI unit could be using for beer brewing water if you live in a place that has not so good water for brewing.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn to brew beer.. Not only will you save money on beer but you can use a lot of the equipment for reefing. My brewing buckets are good for mixing salt water, my mash paddle is good for mixing, if I need to heat a large amount of water for an emergency water change my brew kettle and gas burner can handle 20 gallons of water at a time. RODI unit could be using for beer brewing water if you live in a place that has not so good water for brewing.
I’m noticing a trend here. :)

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let’s have em guys. Here are my 2

1 - melamine sponges (with no cleaning agents) used to clean inside glass. Was so sick of paying $17 a sponge at LFS

2 - hermit crab shells. I buy dollar store shells that are sold in jars as bathroom decorations. Make sure not scented or painted. I soak in saltwater, give em a good scrub, and toss em in :)

A7BD56A5-A771-4F7F-B79D-456F811CB0B1.png

0E7E6FE1-3A7F-404E-96FE-B316F1D8A277.png
What melamine sponges are you using these days?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good tips already in this thread.

One of the best way to save money is to not to buy unnecessary things in the first place.
#1 Any kind of mechanical filtration - socks, roller mats, etc.
#2 Any kind of "media reactor" -- amazingly overpriced for what they do, and not needed.
#3 Any kind of automated testing device

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reuse your salt buckets! Most of them hold around 5 gallons, and can be used for storing all sorts of nifty things (like fish during quarantine).

Don't be afraid of cheapo stuff on amazon.

Still trying to figure out what to do with RODI waste water....

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back