OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LOOOOONG overdue update...and a little eye candy.

Please excuse my dirty lily pipes - I'm also a little behind on maintenance.

The summer has certainly gotten away from me. Haven't gotten to finishing my auto feeder yet, but I'm really happy with how my tank is progressing...she's turned more maximalist aesthetically than I originally intended, more colorful, and I never originally planned a predominantly filter feeding NPS tank, but here we are.

And say hello to betty the blenny and hildegard von fishbeck, the ocellaris. They're literally BFFs moved from my other tank. Seems like they like the new, bigger set up.

When fall rolls around, I'll get back to regularly posting and finally building my feeder. I'm sure I'll need help :)

xoxo

--m

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding foods from Reef Nutrition? I’ve had fantastic luck with those, growing spondylus oysters (and several other varieties), mussels, a variety of tunicates and sponges, and other NPS inverts. I feed a mixture of their SD Phyto, roti-feast, and oyster-feast twice a day (enough to cloud the tank as soon as the lights go out). It’s great photosynthetic coral, too (which derive more energy from food than from light, although you wouldn’t know that with all the ‘best lighting’ posts here…)

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding foods from Reef Nutrition? I’ve had fantastic luck with those, growing spondylus oysters (and several other varieties), mussels, a variety of tunicates and sponges, and other NPS inverts. I feed a mixture of their SD Phyto, roti-feast, and oyster-feast twice a day (enough to cloud the tank as soon as the lights go out). It’s great photosynthetic coral, too (which derive more energy from food than from light, although you wouldn’t know that with all the ‘best lighting’ posts here…)
I feed algae barn phyto or reef nutrition live phyto if I run out of the algae barn stuff, plus oyster feast + rotifeast, reef frenzy nano, spirulina brine shrimp, and I'm having really good luck with PNS Yellow Sno and PNS Probio.

I cloud the tank once a day. Alternate yellow sno and Probio per instructions.
Have you had luck with scallops? I have oysters, tunicates, fan worms, and obviously a ton of sponges, but I'd like to try flame scallops and maybe a sea apple.

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done! I really like the style of this tank. Nice husbandry too everything looks very happy in there.

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PLAN for the refrigerated auto-feeder...

I already got help here, but this is what I started with (spoiler alert...it won't work!):

1652471499256.png

Since I know nothing about plumbing, I had to read everything on the internet I could find, and luckily, I stumbled upon this thread on Bay Area Reefers..

The Improved Design

I believe the following (improved) design will work because it uses the same design, except, instead of flushing the lines by creating a closed loop with a sump, tank water, and an extra circulation pump on a timer, I would connect the RODI line directly to a manifold inside the fridge, then use the four channel doser to inject food into the manifold, and finally flush the line right after the food is injected using the RODI line on a separate dosing pump.

I have to add over a liter(~1200ml) of RODI into my tank over 12 dosing intervals per day, so there is plenty of fresh water running through the system to flush the lines.
1652471296314.png

The fridge and doser came in the mail...and, classically, the doser doesn't fit horizontally because there is a ~3mm wide frame of plastic about 2" inside the fridge. The measurements online did not account for this, otherwise the doser would have fit like a glove. I will either figure out how to design it with a vertical orientation OR file off the plastic inside the fridge. It won't make a difference with sealing the door or anything else (I don't even know what the purpose is), and since I'm going to have to drill three holes in it anyway, filing down some plastic doesn't seem like a problem at all...lol.

Please also meet my new friend Ol' Blue Eyes/Frankie/Chairman of the Board.

1652472193857.png
Love this thread. Glad you've had success with NPS using a canister filter- I was hoping to do the same.

I had an idea to clean your food lines directly after use- maybe make the final doser port for RO? You can keep the ATO separate then.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back