Monti bleaching

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This red Monti has been looking great, then all of a sudden it started losing color. It’s about time for me to replace my light bulb (August 30 is the exact date). Could this be causing it or should I be looking at other causes? My nitrates are a little high, but I’ve been bringing them down with small, regular water changes. I did also start making my own water recently. Could I be doing something wrong there? I’m using the Red Sea mix and keeping water between 1.025 and 1.026.

C298E97B-E669-496D-B4B3-3BE68E1A0493.jpeg

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t happen if you switched salts to IO!! Jk
It’s not the old bulb, they only decrease 5-10% after a year of use. Have you changed flow recently? How high are your nitrates?

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HIGHLY doubt it was any of the things you mentioned. The other other thing that would make sense, seeing as you were losing color is perhaps not ENOUGH nutrients in the tank and it slowly starved... OR, too much light.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to test everything. I’ve been doing 10% water changes every other day and a larger water change on the weekend trying to get the nitrates down. They’re around 25ppm according to the Red Sea test as of this morning. I’m using the coral pro salt. I’ll just put a picture below. So I figured that with the regular changes most things should be about where they should be. And that dosing anything would just make for crazy swings with it being only about 20 gallons of water. But I’ll test everything tonight.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph looks like 8.2, maybe a tad higher. All my test kits are Red Sea.

I do not have a tds meter. I may need to get one. Everyone in the area (Charlotte) said that the city water was good enough to use the ro/di buddy, which I believe is a 3 stage unit. But I suppose there may be contamination. Somewhere on the way to my house.

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to test everything. I’ve been doing 10% water changes every other day and a larger water change on the weekend trying to get the nitrates down. They’re around 25ppm according to the Red Sea test as of this morning. I’m using the coral pro salt. I’ll just put a picture below. So I figured that with the regular changes most things should be about where they should be. And that dosing anything would just make for crazy swings with it being only about 20 gallons of water. But I’ll test everything tonight.

image.jpg
How long has the Monti been in your tank?
Have you always used RSCP?
Have to moved ur lights (up or down) or raised intensity? (Dimmable for T5’s)
And check params and see how consistent they are (check for swings)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seems to me like either temp or salinity swings and the frequaency of water changes may have changed the stable environment they desire/require.
Alk swings and low PH but 9.0 is very acceptable and don't forget calcium as well as good flow. Light could affect them but I don't believe so in this case.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the Monti been in your tank?
Have you always used RSCP?
Have to moved ur lights (up or down) or raised intensity? (Dimmable for T5’s)
And check params and see how consistent they are (check for swings)

It’s been in my tank for a few months. Perhaps March or April, I’d have to go back and check to be sure.

I was buying the pre-mixed Red Sea from my lfs before I got the ro/di unit. And I have the stock biocube lid. I haven’t moved it. How often do you test to check for swings in a parameter?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me like either temp or salinity swings and the frequaency of water changes may have changed the stable environment they desire/require.
Alk swings and low PH but 9.0 is very acceptable and don't forget calcium as well as good flow. Light could affect them but I don't believe so in this case.

I’ve always done at least weekly water changes. My nitrates jumped crazy high about 2 months ago and I’ve been working on getting them down. When I say maybe higher for ph, it’s either 8.2 or 8.3. I’ll start doing the other tests here in a bit and start posting the results.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will say, I have had some temp swings this summer. With it being such a small volume of water, it doesn't take long for it to start climbing upwards. I think a chiller will def be a purchase I make in the not too distant future.

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been in my tank for a few months. Perhaps March or April, I’d have to go back and check to be sure.

I was buying the pre-mixed Red Sea from my lfs before I got the ro/di unit. And I have the stock biocube lid. I haven’t moved it. How often do you test to check for swings in a parameter?
I check twice a week usually, and 25 nitrate isn’t that high!! Do you use a ATO? If not then I’m sure you’re getting decent salinity swings like vetteguy said!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check twice a week usually, and 25 nitrate isn’t that high!! Do you use a ATO? If not then I’m sure you’re getting decent salinity swings like vetteguy said!
Not yet. The new sump has a built in ato. I don’t have a lot of evaporation with the biocube lid though. I would guess maybe about a 1/4 a cup per day. I should measure one day just to see though.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back