Monti Cap Frag Mounting

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this montipora capricornis frag that is going to get attached in a couple days to the rock. How do you all go about mounting them? Do you glue the flat broad side to the rock or one of the thin sides? Should I completely remove it from its plug disk? It is beginning to encrust it.

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would leave it on the plug. You can cut the stem off or just glue the stem right to the rock you want.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate plugs. So if I can gently pry it off of the plug, I will. Then glue the bottom directly to a rock.

If I leave it on the plug, I cut the stem off of the plug with a Dremel and glue the frag disk to the rocks.

If it's big enough, I frag my frag for a piece to grow in place where I want it after the break or cut heals. I do this by using a very small amount of super glue to keep it on the plug until healed. But not so much it can't be removed later. Think a couple of well placed drops to tack it in place vs a big glob

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I hate plugs. So if I can gently pry it off of the plug, I will. Then glue the bottom directly to a rock.

If I leave it on the plug, I cut the stem off of the plug with a Dremel and glue the frag disk to the rocks.
this, and if you don’t have a dremel, bone cutters work too

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it's big enough, I frag my frag for a piece to grow in place where I want it after the break or cut heals. I do this by using a very small amount of super glue to keep it on the plug until healed. But not so much it can't be removed later. Think a couple of well placed drops to tack it in place vs a big glob

How long does it take those things to grow over the plug?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, pop it off the plug. If not, it doesn’t matter. It will encrust over the plug and over the rocks and then it will plate out. Once it gets used to your tank, it grows very fast. Give it high light and high flow.

Within a year you will be breaking pieces off to throw in garbage.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back