Monti overrun by GHA

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is what's left of my red shelf monti. I dropped a crab pellet on it a few months ago and didn't realize for a few days. It started dieing off where the pellet was, then got GHA on the edges. I thought the other half would be fine, but it spread. Today I was going to cut off that part on the left that still looked reddish, but when I took it out it was clear it was all gone.

PXL_20201208_033408568.MP.jpg

It was a $10, so I wasn't too worried about it, but now I have half a dozen montis in QT and I want to make sure I don't make the same mistakes.

Does the crab pellet seem like a good hypothesis for why it got algae? Other than not doing that again, more flow, and keeping params stable, any tricks for keeping algae off of montis?

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does one generally do if you get algae on an SPS. Just pitch the frag? I did scrap the GHA off the margins, but to no avail. I've read that hydrogen peroxide works for zoas, but SPS don't do so well with it.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what others do but my cuc will take care of algae on frags and the frags themselves if happy will do it as well. I have a Superman digi that has been battling algae for months but it was making progress before I go Dino’s

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy montipora should not succumb like this and if this "pellet" was not blown off or taken for food then you probably need to consider increasing flow; I would check these things out and verify no pests before introducing the other montis you have into your QT.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @melanotaenia, and as you suggest in your original post, this likely comes down to flow IMO

Not a monti, but I received a cyphastrea once that had a rough trip through FedEx. When I received it, part of the frag was clearly dead and later grew some GHA. I put it at the bottom of the tank, and in time not only did the GHA go away but the dead spot was grown over/back to life. Dead spot no more.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back