Monti RTN?

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s happening to my monti and what do I do about it? It wasn’t like this yesterday. It was completely green.

IMG_9397.jpeg
IMG_9398.jpeg

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently checking on all parameters to see if any has changed. Temp and PH look normal. I added a small chalice frag a couple of new snails a few weeks back. Otherwise nothing has changed.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I fragged the monti and threw away the dead parts. I lost about 60% of it. I dipped the frags in KoralMD (only thing I had on hand). By the next day the frags all had spots of dead tissue, but so far it doesn’t seem to be spreading. It’s been a couple of days and the frags seem like they might be recovering.

Last night, after lights out, I saw my torch spewing brown stuff. I hope it’s not related. Otherwise, everything else in my tank seems fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the cause, I did find something interesting. My first suspicion was that the snails or chalice I recently added carried something in. That could still be the case, but the were all added a couple of weeks before this all started. So, I’m not sure. Also the chalice looks perfectly healthy. I would think it would show sings of distress if it was infected with something.

Here’s my new theory. I was reading about bjd and found someone on reef2reef claiming it’s caused by a sudden drop in phosphates. . Wait, what?! I was in the process of reducing my phosphates when this issue started. I added GFO and started running my skimmer 2 days before my monti started dying. I never run my skimmer because I have issues with excessively low nitrates when I do (causing dinos).

I think a sudden drop in phosphates (over 50%) may have triggered whatever happened to the coral. The timing fits perfectly and it’s the best theory I have.

IMG_9404.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I fragged the monti and threw away the dead parts. I lost about 60% of it. I dipped the frags in KoralMD (only thing I had on hand). By the next day the frags all had spots of dead tissue, but so far it doesn’t seem to be spreading. It’s been a couple of days and the frags seem like they might be recovering.

Last night, after lights out, I saw my torch spewing brown stuff. I hope it’s not related. Otherwise, everything else in my tanks seems fine.
The brown stuff you observed was likely the torch expelling waste, though when corals bleach they also exhibit an almost identical behavior so keep an eye on it, though I wouldn't be too worried

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the cause, I did find something interesting. My first suspicion was that the snails or chalice I recently added carried something in. That could still be the case, but the were all added a couple of weeks before this all started. So, I’m not sure. Also the chalice looks perfectly healthy. I would think it would show sings of distress if it was infected with something.

Here’s my new theory. I was reading about bjd and found someone on reef2reef claiming it’s caused by a sudden drop in phosphates. . Wait, what?! I was in the process of reducing my phosphates when this issue started. I added GFO and started running my skimmer 2 days before my monti started dying. I never run my skimmer because I have issues with excessively low nitrates when I do (causing dinos).

I think a sudden drop in phosphates (over 50%) may have triggered whatever happened to the coral. The timing fits perfectly and it’s the best theory I have.

IMG_9404.jpeg
Brown jelly doesn’t effect sps only LPs to the best of my knowledge… that looks cyano or something to me but that normally doesn’t kill fast.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back