Montipora Digitata - what causes this?

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My LFS always seems to have some great montipora digitata frags. Great plugs with numerous branches, lots of polyps swaying, and amazing colouring..... needless to say I am ALWAYS a sucker for them.

I always seem to pick up a frag every couple of months, but never seem to be able to keep them alive for too long. I try to ensure that they acclimate to my lighting slowly, but for some reason they always seem to end up looking like this:

Monti.JPG

can anyone tell my what sort of conditions would cause the polyps to recede or die in this manner?

thanks in advance

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pocillopora. Do you have low nutrients? What are your nitrates and phosphates? I’m assuming your other parameters are in range (alk, ca, etc).

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly mature - about 3 years, although i did just do a nice overhaul / refresh where I replaced some rocks and changed aquascape. I have Neptune Trident so the Ca, dKH, Mag levels are all pretty consistent. Nitrates are about 6ppm and Phosphates about 0.1ppm.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting because I have a similar issue. I keep a SPS dominant tank where all acropora are doing well. For whatever reason same thing happens to my birdsnests, stylophoras, and pocilloporas.

139C113C-D433-420C-B2B2-D5F74C2909A4.jpeg

Millepora doing well

CD71CEE4-0E19-4B7B-A338-F8B62DEFCDBD.jpeg

Stylophora doing not so well

I have been told it is likely an issue with nitrates and phosphates. My nitrates also stay around 5-10 and phosphates about 0.1. I wonder if it’s a trace elements issue. I’m going to start checking ICP tests and dosing trace elements and see if that makes a difference. The other possibility is a bacterial infection. Would love to hear what everyone else has to say.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting because I have a similar issue. I keep a SPS dominant tank where all acropora are doing well. For whatever reason same thing happens to my birdsnests, stylophoras, and pocilloporas.

139C113C-D433-420C-B2B2-D5F74C2909A4.jpeg

Millepora doing well

CD71CEE4-0E19-4B7B-A338-F8B62DEFCDBD.jpeg

Stylophora doing not so well

I have been told it is likely an issue with nitrates and phosphates. My nitrates also stay around 5-10 and phosphates about 0.1. I wonder if it’s a trace elements issue. I’m going to start checking ICP tests and dosing trace elements and see if that makes a difference. The other possibility is a bacterial infection. Would love to hear what everyone else has to say.
That looks like fish or crab bites

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My LFS always seems to have some great montipora digitata frags. Great plugs with numerous branches, lots of polyps swaying, and amazing colouring..... needless to say I am ALWAYS a sucker for them.

I always seem to pick up a frag every couple of months, but never seem to be able to keep them alive for too long. I try to ensure that they acclimate to my lighting slowly, but for some reason they always seem to end up looking like this:

Monti.JPG

can anyone tell my what sort of conditions would cause the polyps to recede or die in this manner?

thanks in advance
What par I'd it in and flow?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back