Montipora Dying

Rconner15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
About 3 weeks ago, I noticed some bleaching out on my montipora. Just a few spots that seemed to follow a line going lengthwise up the monti. About a week after noticing the damage I removed the coral and inspected it, hoping to find nodibranchs or something else obvious and unfortunately found nothing. I've also tried dipping the coral, hoping there was some pests on it that I just couldn't see, but that did not seem to help.

Since then the bleaching has gotten worse, following the same line of damage and at the same time growing thicker. Much of the damage has started to brown out.

The montipora had been in my tank for a good 6 months before this started. Any ideas what could be causing this kind of damage? The photos show how the damage has progressed week by week.

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

Monti damage.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rconner15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
PH: 8.0
Phosphates: 0.3 ppm

I'm using Current Orbit Marine IC LED's to light the aquarium. I have one 660 gph eflux wave pump mounted on the side of the aquarium pointed at the montipora.

coil1002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
PH: 8.0
Phosphates: 0.3 ppm

I'm using Current Orbit Marine IC LED's to light the aquarium. I have one 660 gph eflux wave pump mounted on the side of the aquarium pointed at the montipora.
Whats your Big three at ? Ca Alk And Mag

OP
OP
R

Rconner15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh shoot, I haven't been testing for those. I've just been doing 10% water changes every week hoping those would stay where they need to be. I don't have many SPS in my tank. Just this montipora and two other encrusting montipora frags.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing alk on a reef tank is kinda like making sure there is gas in the car! :)

Also, are you using an ATO? What's your salinity?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back