Montipora

Xravikx5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I was wondering if you could help me out. I’m trying to gather a data set for a graduate stats class and I I’m trying to know what everyone’s exact par levels are for there Montipora species tank size and what lights they have

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
montipora setosa - 200-400
montipora digitata - 300-400
a plate mdntipora (not sure exactly which type) 350

Note - the different PAR are listed because - I have fragged them and placed them in all of those areas and they have grown just as well under all PAR. I have also had a piece fall under a ledge - that has eventually grown - even though it was entirely in shade. 100 gallon tank 40 gallon sump.

Curious what statistic are you looking at?

OP
OP
Xravikx5

Xravikx5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great info but I’m looking for exact par measurements. I’m actually trying to see if there is a actual sweet spot within that range so like you said for setosa, the best range is between 200-400 but what is the actual best number where it grows the most. I never see an actual number just a range.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s great info but I’m looking for exact par measurements. I’m actually trying to see if there is a actual sweet spot within that range so like you said for setosa, the best range is between 200-400 but what is the actual best number where it grows the most. I never see an actual number just a range.
Thats because there is 'no best number'. They seem to grow equally well at all those levels. And then there is another problem - PAR is not the only thing that affects growth. Flow and temperature, etc all affect growth. IME alkalinity is also key. At high alkalinity and low flow many corals do better with a lower PAR, if you adjust those some growth will change. You might not want to hear this - but I think this is a poorly designed experiment. The best way to do it would be to take a small tank, break up a piece of mdntipora into 3 and put it in 3 different levels and measure. This is especially true when you ask the question about different species. My guess is that a lot of people aren't totally sure exactly what species they have. Hope this helps - without being critical.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back