Moon Jellyfish in a Fishless Reef?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people! (Again) I know I've been posting alot but I am just trying to put together a spectacular tank that I will like. Now, I though Jellyfish because I know they are not combatable with fish but they are closely related to Anemones (Which I have) and corals (Which I soon will have). Would it be possible to put maybe like 5 Moon Jellyfishes in my 40g? I know they requirements and all I have in the tank is a blue Lincktia, Black Brittle Star, 2 Trochus Snails, Nassaruis Snail, BTA, and later a couple more BTAs, clams and Euphyllia.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

I know nothing about jellies but whenever I see them at the aquarium they are in BIG round tanks with nothing else in them. I assume the need to continually swim in a round tank and would sting other inverts and Corals?

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I did some further research and apparently they aren't even reef safe which sucks, I might just do a clown harem or something

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into this years ago. The reason you see them in round tanks with little to no rocks is so they don't get torn. Being blown around our reefs would tear them on rocks and such.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like a jellyfish in a type of a reef tank with fish you could look into Cassiopea sp, the upside down jellyfish. They have zooxanthellea like tropical coral and mostly stay on the sand bottom.
You do have to arrange the tank a bit to fit these jellyfish though. Low flow(very low) and figure out a way for them not to go into any overflow or pump for example.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I see says it is compatible, only that I need to adjust a couple things and get corals suited for the environment. The only place is Live Aquaria, which says the complete opposite.
If you like a jellyfish in a type of a reef tank with fish you could look into Cassiopea sp, the upside down jellyfish. They have zooxanthellea like tropical coral and mostly stay on the sand bottom.
You do have to arrange the tank a bit to fit these jellyfish though. Low flow(very low) and figure out a way for them not to go into any overflow or pump for example.

Steve H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have kept them with fish and corals I would personally never recommend adding Cassiopeia to a reef aquarium. However, they are great for a specialized mangrove or sea grass system. In addition to releasing a mucus loaded with nematocysts, their polyps will sting corals and are a nuisance. It would be like intentionally adding a bunch of hydroids or majanos to your reef...

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so does it effect anything else, like anemones? Would I still be able to have Inverts and fish, I have no corals at the moment and was going to have all anemones for a harem.

Steve H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them with Condylactis anemones (amongst other things) and live mangroves in a Caribbean system. In a really big aquarium I have seen them with lagoon corals and anemones. If your goal is a clown harem and anemones I would avoid them. Most host anemone species will want good water motion while the jellies will need very low water flow.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people! (Again) I know I've been posting alot but I am just trying to put together a spectacular tank that I will like. Now, I though Jellyfish because I know they are not combatable with fish but they are closely related to Anemones (Which I have) and corals (Which I soon will have). Would it be possible to put maybe like 5 Moon Jellyfishes in my 40g? I know they requirements and all I have in the tank is a blue Lincktia, Black Brittle Star, 2 Trochus Snails, Nassaruis Snail, BTA, and later a couple more BTAs, clams and Euphyllia.
My good friend breeds jellies and builds jelly tanks. He said they are hard to feed. And they need the appropriate type of flow and temp. They’ve experimented a lot and can breed them but I think long term success is short. I think this pic is a moon jelly one.
046C9745-2656-4569-A6B2-0E5CF324DB5B.jpeg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was our small Cassiopea tank. Worked well for 5+ years(until we had to close it due to a rebuilding).
We had Cassiopea, Xenia, Sinularia, Caulerpa, filefish and pyjama cardinal fish. Not the best picture, sorry for that

257BEE38-AA4D-43C6-ABA2-3097A0A4E7AC.jpeg

So it wasn’t like a SPS reef tank, but still an interesting tank I think :)
Just an example if you like to do an unusual tank with fish, jellyfish and some corals.

Of course you need to be aware of the risk of polyps spreading and that they burn even humans etc.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tank. How much gallons was it?
Thanks! Something like 400 or 500 litre I think. So maybe 100 gallons or a bit more.
We actually ran this tank without a skimmer. But we did have a small sump beneath the DT. The return pump was the only pump, so it’s wasn’t much flow.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Something like 400 or 500 litre I think. So maybe 100 gallons or a bit more.
We actually ran this tank without a skimmer. But we did have a small sump beneath the DT. The return pump was the only pump, so it’s wasn’t much flow.
Interesting.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their sting hurts a lot. I got stung by hundreds snorkeling

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back