More pods.

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, it is still too hot outside here but I hope to add some pods to my container in the next few weeks.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally going to have to try this next spring! My mandy and wrasses would love the snack.

It's way to cold here now, and soon to be very cold(not unheard of to be -20F for weeks on end).

Might try it in the house through a window though. I have one set of windows that gets bright sunlight most of the day.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally going to have to try this next spring! My mandy and wrasses would love the snack.

It's way to cold here now, and soon to be very cold(not unheard of to be -20F for weeks on end).

Might try it in the house through a window though. I have one set of windows that gets bright sunlight most of the day.
Worth a try and post the results here.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do this to keep a supply of pods for the mandarin I am going to add to my 180 reef. The answer is unclear to me re: if this works for Tisbe pods - the ones mandarins love. Also unclear - does it need to be outside or would a fish light work? REALLY no circulation? easy I can add an entire banana peel to create green water and then add spirulina to keep feeding the population.

Can I get photos or a video of each step? everyone is showing the pods after they hatch but what are you adding?

thanks!!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do this to keep a supply of pods for the mandarin I am going to add to my 180 reef. The answer is unclear to me re: if this works for Tisbe pods - the ones mandarins love. Also unclear - does it need to be outside or would a fish light work? REALLY no circulation? easy I can add an entire banana peel to create green water and then add spirulina to keep feeding the population.

Can I get photos or a video of each step? everyone is showing the pods after they hatch but what are you adding?

thanks!!

I have never tried to breed them indoors so can't answer your questions. Likewise I don't breed Tisbe pods but if they eat similar foods to the very small pods I feed then why not.
With my outside cultivation I don't use any circulation or aeration, no need.

This may help, be sure to scroll down to the links for videos.

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have another project to kick off.
This looks really awesome and dare I say, too easy lol. We will see!!!

Qs
Do you cover it
Won't rain water dilute it
What about top off for evaporation
did you try this yet? Inside or outside? What did you use for food?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try this yet? Inside or outside? What did you use for food?
I am currently culturing pods in doors and feeding them the phyto I also culture.
The reason I didn't try this yet is because of the summer heat.
It doesn't get too hot where he's at but here in NJ July and August may be too hot for this. But next spring I will try this.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently culturing pods in doors and feeding them the phyto I also culture.
The reason I didn't try this yet is because of the summer heat.
It doesn't get too hot where he's at but here in NJ July and August may be too hot for this. But next spring I will try this.
Yes it was hot in July and August. I am in monmouth county and I think you live north of me. Since you have yours indoors, did you put an air-line in the container?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was hot in July and August. I am in monmouth county and I think you live north of me. Since you have yours indoors, did you put an air-line in the container?
Yes with very little air flow just a couple of bubbles a second

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i might have to try this at some point!

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds awesome. I will do the banana peel technique.

I will mix new saltwater and place in a 5 gallon bucket with cooked banana peel. Do I need to seed the water with phytoplankton?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered pods. I am going to start one culture inside and one culture outside using the banana method. A few questions about the outside banana method:
* One note says cooked banana one says banana peel? What is the food source?
* You say OLD water - I like using my old water b/c plenty of nitrate BUT in the videos I just watched they said sterile water so that the pods don't get contaminated?
* How much sun and is warmer better?
* NO AIR STONE, or heater LOVE THAT
* When I collect the pods and throw them in my DT how do I reseed the population and make another batch?
* I have spirulina will add that (how much how often)
* what happens when it gets cold in NE? what do I do with the pods?

Inside pod population
* 10 gallon tank
* 5 gallon new salt water
* Air stone slow bubbles
* light
* Add pods
* adding dry rock to shelter the pods
* Adding pod hotel b/c I have one
* add phyto - once this runs out can I use spirulina?

Once I master this mandarins are being added!

I will share what performs better! and happy on Suggestions if any one has any

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a quick scoop to feed my fish.
20210605_170023.jpg
What army? What army?! Look around you, Krabs!

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll

I mixed up some saltwater in a 5g bucket with a banana peel and left it outside. Its been outside for a week and the water is just like cloudy. Was I suppose to seed the water with some type of phyto?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll

I mixed up some saltwater in a 5g bucket with a banana peel and left it outside. Its been outside for a week and the water is just like cloudy. Was I suppose to seed the water with some type of phyto?
I never do seed it with phyto.
Did you just put a small piece of skin in say no more than a leaf at most? The container also needs some sun. I used old tank water never newly mixed. Does it make a difference? I don't honestly know but the above is what I do and it's worked everytime. It may possibly go brown before going green.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never do seed it with phyto.
Did you just put a small piece of skin in say no more than a leaf at most? The container also needs some sun. I used old tank water never newly mixed. Does it make a difference? I don't honestly know but the above is what I do and it's worked everytime. It may possibly go brown before going green.
i used one leaf of a banana skin.
unfortunately my tank is newly started so I don't have any old water.
I will move it to an area to get more sun

Thanks!!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see how this would work:

During last water change I was coaxing a couple of little amphipods out of my filter material anyway to look at in brother-in-law's digital microscope.

Remembered this thread (with video by atoll) so decided to experiment on a small scale:
-- little Tupperware container with dirty water and crud from my discard bucket.
-- manipulated out about 6-8 amphipods out of my filter material.
-- didn't have any bananas for about 5 days but finally found a fresh/green banana so threw in a chunk of peel.

A week or two later I assumed I didn't really try hard enough so was about to just toss the water but took a closer look anyway.

There's at least 30, barely-visible, tiny critters crawling around in there now!

Here's the original microscope view (not of the new babies), just for fun:
microscope_pod1.JPG

Here's my mini-experiment, just to show how tiny/simple it is:
*no way I could get my phone to capture pic/vid of the babies but, to be sure, they're alive and kicking
pod_culture1.JPG

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see how this would work:

During last water change I was coaxing a couple of little amphipods out of my filter material anyway to look at in brother-in-law's digital microscope.

Remembered this thread (with video by atoll) so decided to experiment on a small scale:
-- little Tupperware container with dirty water and crud from my discard bucket.
-- manipulated out about 6-8 amphipods out of my filter material.
-- didn't have any bananas for about 5 days but finally found a fresh/green banana so threw in a chunk of peel.

A week or two later I assumed I didn't really try hard enough so was about to just toss the water but took a closer look anyway.

There's at least 30, barely-visible, tiny critters crawling around in there now!

Here's the original microscope view (not of the new babies), just for fun:
microscope_pod1.JPG

Here's my mini-experiment, just to show how tiny/simple it is:
*no way I could get my phone to capture pic/vid of the babies but, to be sure, they're alive and kicking
pod_culture1.JPG

You'll be glad you never chucked it. If there's enough food try and stop them reproducing. Mine can explode in a few days then after many harvests die down. Never clean the bottom of the container as many pod eggs lay there waiting to hatch at least with the small pods I have.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back