Morgan's 50 gallon mixed reef

morgank

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2013
Messages
117
Reaction score
75
Location
CT, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first saltwater build! I am looking to have a mixed reef/fish tank. I have been doing freshwater for years.

DSC_6475.jpg


It's a 50 gallon, with a Reef Octopus 1000 HOB skimmer, live rock/sand, and Hydor Koralia 1050/1150 (another is coming today).

I've been cycling for 3 weeks, ammonia and nitrite are at zero, nitrate is at about 20 ppm.

I'm seeing some brown here and there, which I assume is diatoms:
DSC_6476.jpg

DSC_6478.jpg

DSC_6482.jpg


Are those stringy things in pic 3 diatoms?
Am I ready for a cleanup crew?

This seems to be going smoothly so far -- a little TOO smoothly...

Suggestions? Can I get a fish yet? :smile:
 
Looks like a good start. A few cleanup crew wouldn't hurt if u get a fish or 2 don't get damsels they are cheap but will kill every thing u like.
 
Sounds like you're off to a great start! I'd say if the ammonia and nitrites have steadily been zero you could add a fish or two. Nitrates at 20ppm won't hurt fish. Maybe a pair of clownfish?
 
Looking good! Welcome to R2R!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new