Most Interesting Fish To Watch (not just prettiest) for smaller (45 gallon) tanks

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good suggestions. I love shrimp goby pairs, barnacle blennies and hawkfish.

My Yasha's goby and pink clown goby have an unusual relationship. :p

Goby Ride2 (1 of 1).jpg

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to salty's goby duo. My citron clown goby loves to hangout front and center, and takes rides on snails and even my tuxedo urchin pretty often!

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a second clown goby, ide love to see how they interact

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good suggestions. I love shrimp goby pairs, barnacle blennies and hawkfish.

My Yasha's goby and pink clown goby have an unusual relationship. :p

Goby Ride2 (1 of 1).jpg

Where did you find a PINK clown goby? Looks Pretty! Reminds me of my Pink Skunk Clownfish

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find a PINK clown goby? Looks Pretty! Reminds me of my Pink Skunk Clownfish

He just showed up at my LFS one day. I had never seen one in that color (and haven't since) and couldn't resist.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just showed up at my LFS one day. I had never seen one in that color (and haven't since) and couldn't resist.

After some research, looks like some Citron Gobies can turn to a darker shade. Same goes for the Brown Clown, but they usually go black.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research, looks like some Citron Gobies can turn to a darker shade. Same goes for the Brown Clown, but they usually go black.

As I recall at the time, I was told the species was Gobiodon multilineatus from the western Pacific.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Flame Hawk. Not sure if it will work in a 45. He roams all over the tank very active.
Here’s another vote for a small flame hawk (they don’t grow quickly nor do they need a ton of room, IMO

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies both yellow and green. Especially love the yellow ones as they hop around looking like little yellow lights.

You want my cute little yellow clown goby? He sits on the nicer acro polyps all day until they die. How can I catch the little sucker?

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want my cute little yellow clown goby? He sits on the nicer acro polyps all day until they die. How can I catch the little sucker?
Haha mine only likes the bigger mushrooms and montis, thankfully he avoids the zoas and sensitive stuff.

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to catch him? Try a clear acrylic box type trap. They're pretty curious in general I think and will work quickly

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after re-reading this thread I am at the following mix. My kids talked me into a pair of Percula's, but man they have gotten fancier in the past decade. I picked up a pair of fancy true Perculas that are in the tank and have been doing great (atleast for the past few days that I've had them). In Mid-February I should be looking at the next batch of fish assuming all is going well. Based off of this thread I am looking at the following mix/stocking for my 45.

2 Picasso Percula Clowns (Already happy in tank).
1 Pink Streaked Wrasse (instead of a 6 line)
1 Springeri Dottyback (a "nice" dottyback)
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Fire shrimp

Still debating on the pistol/watchman goby pair OR a yellow/green clown goby (only 1).

Does this seem like a happy mix? I would like a tank of happy rainbows and sunshine that is fun and entertaining to watch (not just pretty)?

Do any of these need to be added before the others?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after re-reading this thread I am at the following mix. My kids talked me into a pair of Percula's, but man they have gotten fancier in the past decade. I picked up a pair of fancy true Perculas that are in the tank and have been doing great (atleast for the past few days that I've had them). In Mid-February I should be looking at the next batch of fish assuming all is going well. Based off of this thread I am looking at the following mix/stocking for my 45.

2 Picasso Percula Clowns (Already happy in tank).
1 Pink Streaked Wrasse (instead of a 6 line)
1 Springeri Dottyback (a "nice" dottyback)
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Fire shrimp

Still debating on the pistol/watchman goby pair OR a yellow/green clown goby (only 1).

Does this seem like a happy mix? I would like a tank of happy rainbows and sunshine that is fun and entertaining to watch (not just pretty)?

Do any of these need to be added before the others?
Pink streak wrasse first, then blenny, and dottyback last.

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my pistol/yashi pair. They were always up to something.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back