Most Overrated and Underrated "CORALS!"

Do you feel like a lot of corals within the hobby are overrated or underrated?

• Overrated

Votes: 489 77.6%
  • Underrated

Votes: 48 7.6%
  • Yes and No (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 93 14.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We've all seen coral that we like or don't like, got to have it or don't want it. Some are overrated and some are underrated.

Of course most of this is a matter of opinion but there are those corals that most might consider to be overrated or underrated for various reasons. Could be because the coral does or does not look good in photos, could be because the price is too cheap or too outrageous, could be be because of how slow or fast it grows, etc.

Taking these things into consideration what coral would you consider to be overrated or underrated? Could be a named piece or a whole type of coral.

Most overrated coral?
Most underrated coral?

Photo for interest.....
purple-monster-jawbreaker-mushroom-3 1.jpg

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all seen coral that we like or don't like, got to have it or don't want it. Some are overrated and some are underrated.

Of course most of this is a matter of opinion but there are those corals that most might consider to be overrated or underrated for various reasons. Could be because the coral does or does not look good in photos, could be because the price is too cheap or too outrageous, could be be because of how slow or fast it grows, etc.

Taking these things into consideration what coral would you consider to be overrated or underrated? Could be a named piece or a whole type of coral.

Most overrated coral?
Most underrated coral?

Photo for interest.....
purple-monster-jawbreaker-mushroom-3 1.jpg

Can we make it a rule for this thread only non-colour enhanced / non-Photoshopped pictures allowed? lol

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can we make it a rule for this thread only non-colour enhanced / non-Photoshopped pictures allowed? lol

Then what fun would we have? :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fall into the underrated category. Under white lighting from 5 feet away I think some of the cheaper classic corals are as breathtaking as the much higher priced collectibles. A simple brightly colored staghorn (think green slimer) and monti caps stick out from across a room much more than these designer corals, imo. If your goal is to run blue lighting and take wonderful macro shots the pricey corals may be what you want. If you want a tank that looks great when you admire it from a distance, feel free to stick with the basics.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL but then we can get a TRUE picture of the natural beauty of what corals actually look like ;)

Ok here...:p

laboratorybr.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had anxiety trying to pick an answer to the poll!! LOL A lot are overrated and a lot are underrated. For example, I think gonis and other less popular LPS are often underrated...and then some named pieces are overrated (and some named pieces are worth the hype too...). So...I wanted to say "BOTH!!"

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fall into the underrated category. Under white lighting from 5 feet away I think some of the cheaper classic corals are as breathtaking as the much higher priced collectibles. A simple brightly colored staghorn (think green slimer) and monti caps stick out from across a room much more than these designer corals, imo. If your goal is to run blue lighting and take wonderful macro shots the pricey corals may be what you want. If you want a tank that looks great when you admire it from a distance, feel free to stick with the basics.

Bro I love me some monti cap and green slimer!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had anxiety trying to pick an answer to the poll!! LOL A lot are overrated and a lot are underrated. For example, I think gonis and other less popular LPS are often underrated...and then some named pieces are overrated (and some named pieces are worth the hype too...). So...I wanted to say "BOTH!!"

Fixed that for you!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are waffling.
waffle.gif

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m not going to make any friends with this post but generally speaking....

Most overrated - acros and bounce mushrooms :eek:

Most underrated - leathers and gorgonians

Edit: I guess I was wrong lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I’m not going to make any friends with this post but generally speaking....

Most overrated - acros and bounce mushrooms :eek:

Most underrated - leathers and gorgonians

Ok I could have agreed with the first a year ago but I was traded a WWC Bounce and I love it now. HA! I actually hated the look of them. Now that it's huge and multiplying the orange color can't be rivaled.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo many overrated and WAY overpriced!

Fancy names shouldn't increase the value, but as long as dumb ppl pay they prices will stay obnoxiously high.

Hence the second post of this thread haha

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only guy who likes Leptos lol.
I’m bored of jack o lantern but I have this really cool dark red lepto I absolutely love, with certain lighting (time of day) it has this really interesting holographic effect. Super under rated compared to the thousands I’ve dumped into sps.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL That's the worst example of coral bleaching you could find on Google?:D
That’s elk horn bro, you wish you had that brown hunk of uber rareness

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha I can only dream to one day have such rarities in my tank! LOL
Lol true. I wonder what the value on something like that would even be. Insane I imagine due to dealing with the Yakuza or who ever deals “illegal” coral lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back