Mounting a fan

Zac K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Your help with my overflow questions in the last thread I posted were really helpful. I'm looking for some more feedback around a design concept for my stand.

I've heard about stands getting humid on the inside -- and although I hope to run my system with the back panel/s off for ventilation, the idea of mounting a couple of fans seems like a sensible thing to do.

My question is about placement. Would it be possible to mount the fans on the opposite end of the tank to where the sump is? My aim is to draw clean air inwards and push the bad stuff out.

The reason I want to mount the fans at one end of the tank (opposite end to the overflow) is because I'd like to run this peninsula-style, but ultimately might not be able to depending on available space when I'm ready to get it up and running.

I figured that regardless of final configuration (traditional or peninsula), this short end will be the only side of the tank that's pretty much guaranteed not to end up being placed against a wall.

I've attached my stand design... hopefully this helps clarify what I'm asking. Please excuse the awful drawing.

The fans I'm thinking of using are these ones (maybe 2?) because they can be recessed neatly into the frame. Another reefer inspired this idea...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009COAEUG/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?psc=1

Thanks for your time.

Stand Design ZK.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zac K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For further clarity, the fans/vents would be mounted on the side 2 x 6 frames. Crudely represented by those yellow pieces in my diagram. (I wish I could draw in 3D)!!

Mark Bianco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO. Its a great idea to place them in the ends this will help with cooling as well. There are a few issues you want to consider; The first is you will have increased evaporation so you will need to keep more top off water available. Second and this is two parts, although everyone says you don't lose salt when water evaporates from a salt water tank you do, its a small percent but still present. The fan that exhausts will accumulate salt and need to be cleaned regularly, so easy access is important. Second is where will the exhaust be exiting, are you going to exhaust it outside a really good idea. By a piece of furniture or by an electrical outlet is not a good idea.

HTH
Mark

OP
OP
Z

Zac K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mark. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I don't intend to run a fan as an exhaust, for the reason you mentioned. I'm aiming to just have them pulling new air in from the "clean" side. I know there's quite a bit of debate about whether or not to have them pushing/pulling or both.

Do you think the fans I want to use are powerful enough to do this job if they're mounted at the end? The tank is 6 ft.

Mark Bianco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cabinet is 36 cubic feet. The fans have a capability up to moving air at 26 cubic feet per minute each that's 52 cubic feet a minute. In one minute you will turn the air over 1.5 times. More then you will ever need, you can probably run them on low if you wanted to.

Mark

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See mine in my build thread - just a single 120mm computer case fan. It does enough and is dead silent. I don't think you need two.
Do the sides of the stand have plywood attached? Think about how large a hole you're planning to put in that 2x6...
87b066ec63ef3f89816fd34fa27f8c3d.jpg

Filtered vent hole in the back, fan mounts in the hole at the side:

img_6832-jpg.497763

OP
OP
Z

Zac K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I agree, 1 fan will do the job, based on Mark's helpful calculations!!

And yes, I have to be careful about cutting into the 2 x 6. There will be ply on the stand, but there isn't any yet.

There are two sets of 2x6s on each end for extra strength, though. With a fan, there will be need to be holes in both pieces. But I guess the hole can be smaller in the second 2x6 as not to compromise strength...

My logic might be flawed here though?

Also, does anyone use ducting on set ups like this? I'm thinking about a false wall in the middle to maintain a "wet" and "dry" side.

Thanks again for your advice everyone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back