Mounting Acro

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when I mount my frags to my rockwork I've been cutting the stem off of the plug and gluing the disk to the rockwork. One of my acro frags has completely encrusted the plug and is extending down past the bottom of the frag disk. If I cut the stem off even with the skeleton I won't have the flat disk to apply glue to. Is there any easy way to mount the frag. I don't want to remove the frag from the plug because there are branches coming off of the side of the plug.
Hopefully I've described that in a way that makes sense. If not I can try to show it in pics tomorrow

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral with frag plugs still on them:

20210122_194934.jpg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral with frag plugs still on them:
Most of my corals still have at least the disk of the plug attached. The problem with this acro is that it has part of the coral hanging down below the disk of the plug. Basically if you would turn the frag upside down with the stem facing up the coral would form a cup with the stem in the middle.

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok so in that case i would cut the stem off that plug and another frag plug and put it on the bottom of that one and chip away in certain places that the coral intrudes on

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it, just glue as you normally would. It will the hanging pieces you can leave as is and stick itninto yiur putty, or put the putty in the cup, or chip off the hanging pieces. The remaining will heal and grow over whatever method you choose and start entrusting the rocks

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it, just glue as you normally would. It will the hanging pieces you can leave as is and stick itninto yiur putty, or put the putty in the cup, or chip off the hanging pieces. The remaining will heal and grow over whatever method you choose and start entrusting the rocks
I considered filling the "cup" part up with putty to form a solid base. I haven't used putty to mount corals I've only been using superglue, but I have some epoxy that I can use to mount it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you use putty, best way is to do a "coral - superglue - putty - super glue - rock" sandwich. Will make it very easy and secure. Do the coral side first. Then after the putty is secure on the coral, put a dollop of superglue on the other side of the putty and push it down to the rocks. Hold it for a few seconds and yiu r set

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back