Mounting Profilux 4 and Doser 2.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am about to receive my new tank in a few days (hopefully), and at most in a few weeks. I currently have Doser 2.1 and going to be also adding the Profilux 4. My problem is how to mount them to the inside of my stand. The stand I have coming has a completely open design with just the two side walls and the top. It has an open back and no shelving. I am trying to minimize the amount of fabrication/modification I would have to do to the stand. I know there are a ton of pre-made acrylic mounts for Apex and BubbleMagus controllers and dosers, but was unable to find anything for GHL. I did find an old post on the other forum from 2011 that showed a really cool clear acrylic shelf but was not able to find anything of that sort for sale.

Any help finding one or getting ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out a mounting solution? If you're sold on the acrylic mount idea, most of the ones designed for other dosing systems will work with the GHL (since it's just a rectangular box). There's also several ideas on how to build a custom 'box' for the equipment akin to building a box for a sub (sorta). I know you're trying to avoid additional fabrication / modification to the stand so there's always the option to add a little 'controller station' next to the tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lets-see-your-ghl.258905/

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out a mounting solution? If you're sold on the acrylic mount idea, most of the ones designed for other dosing systems will work with the GHL (since it's just a rectangular box). There's also several ideas on how to build a custom 'box' for the equipment akin to building a box for a sub (sorta). I know you're trying to avoid additional fabrication / modification to the stand so there's always the option to add a little 'controller station' next to the tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lets-see-your-ghl.258905/

I've definitely read through that GHL thread and got some ideas. I couldn't find anything prefabricated that looked nice enough and to go along with the rest of the tank, or the right size. Unfortunately the space outside will be already occupied by a chiller and ATO container leaving no more room for a station (although that one would have been the most appealing). All that being said, I did take some ideas in that linked thread and came up with an acrylic shelf I will be making. I still havent determined if I'll cut and glue myself or outsource all or some of the work to a plastics company. I guess it'll depend on the price difference.

Here's the pictures of my sketch.
fcb267fb135ccb9322dcc2679cb39075.jpg

d0a21b3cfc0b4ba865a6f6c84b20d63e.jpg

Last edited:

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a good plan! I have no experience with acrylic so I have no idea how difficult it would be to make it yourself.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind your P4 will have all the ports and power supply coming out of the back of it, including the BNC connectors on your probes, minidin for floats switches, PAB cables, etc.. you may want to add a little depth to your shelf and think about how you want to route those wires.

Back of my Profilux 3 for reference.
e49b4241165cd96641d1605fc708bdce.jpg

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a good plan! I have no experience with acrylic so I have no idea how difficult it would be to make it yourself.

Its not too bad... although I had been taught by someone while they were helping me make a custom sump for my current nano. I dont think I would be comfortable enough to make something that would need to be water tight, but I dont mind doing a shelf. Just need a ton of clamps to hold it tight.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind your P4 will have all the ports and power supply coming out of the back of it, including the BNC connectors on your probes, minidin for floats switches, PAB cables, etc.. you may want to add a little depth to your shelf and think about how you want to route those wires.

Thanks for the heads up! The shelf will actually be mounted on the left inside of the stand and towards the front. The back is actually open with the exception of a small acrylic rods on the bottom of each the shelf to keep the controller and doser from being accidentally knocked back and sliding off. And a little bit behind the controller, I'll have wire runs that I can try and hide most of the wires.

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dose 2.1 on a acrylic shelf like the one in your sketch in my cabinet, very uncomfortable working in a enclosed cabinet, but I got it running..
Then I decided to get the profilux 4, the only place I had was just below the doser, it's up but what an inconvenience, every time I do something to profilux 4, some of the tubes for the doser would fall off.
I would prefer if they were side by side instead of one above the other, and don't forget all the connections are done at the back.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dose 2.1 on a acrylic shelf like the one in your sketch in my cabinet, very uncomfortable working in a enclosed cabinet, but I got it running..
Then I decided to get the profilux 4, the only place I had was just below the doser, it's up but what an inconvenience, every time I do something to profilux 4, some of the tubes for the doser would fall off.
I would prefer if they were side by side instead of one above the other, and don't forget all the connections are done at the back.

Why wouldnt you put the Profilux on top of the doser, so that you dont have to mess with the tubing? The way mine is designed, there will be a dedicated shelf for each (in case I need to remove one and not the other), with the profilux sitting on top. I also have the Profilux Touch so hopefully there will be very little need for me to touch either of them. But most of all, my stand has a ton of open space there where it wouldnt be hard for me to access any of the wires with very little inconvenience.

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have that much room in your stand, maybe it'll work, in my case my stand is full, I have a 55 gallon sump, ato bucket on one side of it then on the other side 3 - 5 liter bottles, so mine is stacked one above the other, then they are high in the stands, so to get to the back of the profilux, I have to take it down from off the stand...
So I think that if they were side by side in my case would have worked out better.
Also the tubes for the doser are only pushed on so be mind full of that.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have that much room in your stand, maybe it'll work, in my case my stand is full, I have a 55 gallon sump, ato bucket on one side of it then on the other side 3 - 5 liter bottles, so mine is stacked one above the other, then they are high in the stands, so to get to the back of the profilux, I have to take it down from off the stand...
So I think that if they were side by side in my case would have worked out better.
Also the tubes for the doser are only pushed on so be mind full of that.

Yeah, my stand will only have a sump, 2 dosing containers, and the electronics. The stand is not huge, and in fact it was too small to put my chiller and ATO, buuuut because those are going outside the stand, it opens up enough room.

Yeah, the tubes are a little flimsy on the doser, I've been using mine already on my current tank since it came out. I do take great care to avoid messing with things as much as possible, but when I do I try and put it back right away/double and tripple check. I've also read that small zipties work like a wonder keeping those tubes more snuggly on the doser, which I may do when its in the new stand.

Thanks for the sharing your experience though, its definitely something to keep in mind, and may come in useful for anyone else reading in on this thread that might have less room in their stand than I do.

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ziptie idea, also I plan on changing to a more softer and more flexible tubing than the stiff ones I am using now.
Good luck.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very tight fit. I've found it's easier to dip the tip in boiling water for 5-10 secs before securing it onto the doser.

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea, and it seems more flexible and not as stiff as the more expensive ones, I think for this for the GHL doser 2 and dosing this tubing works better for me.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone following along, I had just picked up the custom shelf I designed (sketch in earlier posts). I had it made out of all clear since adding blue would have raised the price significantly due to having to buy an entire sheet of blue. Anyways, here are some pics, keeping in mind it’s very hard to photograph clear acrylic.

62a47361b724a7fd3f28e5cdcefcb75d.heic

928aaf81fb1285ebe3f10a713b3bf928.heic

Some close up details.

2f13a35af0f120895c1d50e2a1d63361.heic

Later I’ll get a picture with the Profilux on the top shelf to show how it would fit.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back