OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just wanted to say, even though this is a dead thread, it's unfortunate that I came here looking for answers and the guy never even posted his params, so now after reading all of this I got nothing. Smh
I didn’t need to post my water parameters. Again, the water is not the issue. Trust me. I was looking for other causes that would stress the coral to look the way it did but everyone wanted to only focus on the water values. The water was never the issue!

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t need to post my water parameters. Again, the water is not the issue. Trust me. I was looking for other causes that would stress the coral to look the way it did but everyone wanted to only focus on the water values. The water was never the issue!
I think most of us commenting about you not posting water params are related to you being stubborn about actually NOT posting them. Said in all due respect. Happy reefing.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do believe the stubbornness comes from both sides. I wasn’t asking what was wrong with my water though. I was asking what could cause the torch’s mouth to be open. Everybody says water. Yes, okay. What else could cause that?

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what was it?
Mine was fine until I picked it up and actually glued it down, after I glued it down it was just open during the day a lot, nowhere near the OP but it was just ticked off a bit and has finally settled down after acting like a whining teenager.

I'm pretty sure was just mad at me for touching it and the process of gluing down/moving it. Since then it has expelled some zooxanthellae, but the mouth isn't really doing what it did before; Hang wide open. It took about 5 days or so for it to be forgiving. My other hammer gets mad sometimes when I get near it with moving my hand/with the current changing.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was fine until I picked it up and actually glued it down, after I glued it down it was just open during the day a lot, nowhere near the OP but it was just ticked off a bit and has finally settled down after acting like a whining teenager.

I'm pretty sure was just mad at me for touching it and the process of gluing down/moving it. Since then it has expelled some zooxanthellae, but the mouth isn't really doing what it did before; Hang wide open. It took about 5 days or so for it to be forgiving. My other hammer gets mad sometimes when I get near it with moving my hand/with the current changing.
The reason I was asking is that my Duncan doing something similar. I recently started feeding it with reef roids and while with mysis it doesn’t do anything strange with reef roids it has wild open mouth for several minutes. I am not sure if it hates me for the type of food or it is normal.

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I was asking is that my Duncan doing something similar. I recently started feeding it with reef roids and while with mysis it doesn’t do anything strange with reef roids it has wild open mouth for several minutes. I am not sure if it hates me for the type of food or it is normal.
Not to break the Hammer thread but I've noticed that Reef Roids are packed in nutrients and when I broadcast feed with it, my Palys/Zoas do that too. I think that since it's so nutrient dense they are opening up to feed with it.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to break the Hammer thread but I've noticed that Reef Roids are packed in nutrients and when I broadcast feed with it, my Palys/Zoas do that too. I think that since it's so nutrient dense they are opening up to feed with it.
That is reassuring.

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am having the exact same issue with my hammer coral. It was happy and fluffy on the sand bed, until I glued it to rock and it shrank mostly because it was much closer to the light and the MP40 was much direct near it. It wasn't being blasted but it was getting a lot more flow.

Then I moved it back to sand bed and it starting opening the mouth since a day now. I hope it doesn't go down hill. Any idea how long it took to get back to normal?

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the exact same issue with my hammer coral. It was happy and fluffy on the sand bed, until I glued it to rock and it shrank mostly because it was much closer to the light and the MP40 was much direct near it. It wasn't being blasted but it was getting a lot more flow.

Then I moved it back to sand bed and it starting opening the mouth since a day now. I hope it doesn't go down hill. Any idea how long it took to get back to normal?
I would dip it in furant 2

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with "my water is fine" or "my parameters are all good" is that some people are misinformed as to what optimal parameters are or the nuance between various parameters or perhaps just something being overlooked. The full, detailed story is always helpful when diagnosing issues and to make sure inappropriate advice isnt given.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for suggestions on what to check, not so much a diagnosis. It’s very easy for someone to point at an obvious abnormal result and say that’s to blame. I’m looking for a list of potential causes. I guess it’s hard for me to explain what I’m really looking for. But if I know lights, flow, and water is good, what other things could be causing the coral to look like this?
Your water parameters suck. That's why you refuse to give them. This is like going to the doctor and refusing to tell them what's hurting you or bothering you, beccause surely if you were to say your butt hurts, they'd start to investigate! We wouldn't want that to happen would we? If your calcium is very low for example, we can point out that it could be a cause and as to why. If you have high copper or zinc or whatever, it can explain certain behavior. You give us nothing aside from "yeah everything is perfect" and then demand help. Unfortunately no one can help you, if you refuse to help them. Not sure where this very garbage attitude is coming from either, but I've noticed it's in an uprise here on R2R, often times with newbs who swear to god everything is fine and okay. If you give vague description, then expect people to give vague help or no help at all. I too swore to god often times that my parameters were amazing, only to be told it sucks and that certain behavior is often linked to that very same thing I had screwed up.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your water parameters suck. That's why you refuse to give them. This is like going to the doctor and refusing to tell them what's hurting you or bothering you, beccause surely if you were to say your butt hurts, they'd start to investigate! We wouldn't want that to happen would we? If your calcium is very low for example, we can point out that it could be a cause and as to why. If you have high copper or zinc or whatever, it can explain certain behavior. You give us nothing aside from "yeah everything is perfect" and then demand help. Unfortunately no one can help you, if you refuse to help them. Not sure where this very garbage attitude is coming from either, but I've noticed it's in an uprise here on R2R, often times with newbs who swear to god everything is fine and okay. If you give vague description, then expect people to give vague help or no help at all. I too swore to god often times that my parameters were amazing, only to be told it sucks and that certain behavior is often linked to that very same thing I had screwed up.
Very interesting that you bring up an old thread. But don’t you think if my calcium is low, I would know it’s low? And it’s very easy to point and say, “there it is, it’s your calcium.”

I’m not asking what is wrong with my tank. I am asking what could be the cause of this specifically. What causes a torch’s mouth to be so open? Flow? Too much? Too little? Light? Too much? Too little? Not feeding enough? It’s obviously “abnormal labs” is a cause, but what specifically? Does maybe having too high of a calcium cause this?

Do you get what I’m saying? Again, not what’s wrong with MY tank, but what causes this.

Either way, this was so long ago and I’m pretty sure this torch died while everything else continued to do great

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sharing parameters to people trying to help you is a weird hill to die on, but to each their own.
Again, the question isn’t what is wrong with my water. The question is: Is there something specifically that causes a torch’s mouth to open like this?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting that you bring up an old thread. But don’t you think if my calcium is low, I would know it’s low? And it’s very easy to point and say, “there it is, it’s your calcium.”

I’m not asking what is wrong with my tank. I am asking what could be the cause of this specifically. What causes a torch’s mouth to be so open? Flow? Too much? Too little? Light? Too much? Too little? Not feeding enough? It’s obviously “abnormal labs” is a cause, but what specifically? Does maybe having too high of a calcium cause this?

Do you get what I’m saying? Again, not what’s wrong with MY tank, but what causes this.

Either way, this was so long ago and I’m pretty sure this torch died while everything else continued to do great
What CAUSES it? Oh geez, I dunno… thousand different things which we aren’t going to sum up because you’re too proud to tell us what your parameters are. No one has time to sit here and tell you all the different reasons as to why something could’ve gone wrong or right. We have nothing to diagnose what has caused this. Again, you’re vague. You don’t want to know what could’ve caused it because that would show that you lacked in something. Water chemistry, lighting, PAR, animals, insects, you name it. You want everyone to mention every fish that could’ve caused your torch to die? To mention every parameter and it’s acceptable range? To mention every insect which could be eating from it? You want them to mention the flow and whether it’s direct or not direct? Yeah no one is going to do that. Parameters, additional information and pictures / videos determine the help you’ll be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back