Move dos add/remove slider from auto/tbl to off?

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok forgive me if make typos or make mistakes

nsw_lo is my physical low switch so change it to your low optical name
nsw_hi is my physical high switch, again change to yours
sw_reset is my physical doorbell, so you can use a feed a virtual outlet, or maybe the dos off to auto thing but someone would need to verify that.
Dos_add_sw and dos_rem_sw, replace with your names
Sw_solenoid, replace with your name
Sw_circ_pump, sw_heater replace with yours
Mix_sal is my salinity probe

Virtual outlets are

V_nsw_lo
V_nsw_hi
V_nsw_fill
V_nsw_filled
V_nsw_reset

programming is

V_nsw_lo
Set off
If nsw_lo closed then on
Defer 001:00 then on

V_nsw_hi
Set off
If nsw_hi closed then on

v_nsw_fill
Fallback off
If v_nsw_lo = on then on
If v_nsw_hi = off then off

v_nsw_filled
Set on
If output v_nsw_reset = off then off
If output v_nsw_hi = off then off

v_nsw_reset
Fallback off
If output v_nsw_fill = on then on
If sw_reset closed then off
If mix_sal > 32 then off
Defer 001:00 then off
You could add a line for temp if you’re worried about temp

regular outlets

Sw_solenoid
Fallback off
Set off
If output v_sw_fill = on then on

sw_circ_pump
Fallback off
If output v_sw_filled = on then on
Defer 560:00 then off

sw_heater
Fallback off

Dos programming for both add and remove

if output v_nsw_reset = on then off

Again, I do not have my dos slider switching from auto to off so maybe @Sean Clark can help with a virtual outlet to replace my physical doorbell and use your dos slider to reset if possible. Again triple check everything as this was not copy and paste and transcribed from my screen reader and typed so I could have royally screwed something up
Where does the doorbell come into the statements? How do you go by checking/testing statements?

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will. The only concern is to ensure that your heaters will not ever run dry. A Defer statement will not ensure this.

You could set the redundant low sensor up the perform both functions.
If you have your heaters laid flat on the bottom the need is minimal. I only wanted to point out the potential issue of only using a Defer statement to control the heaters.
I’m confused! Happy holidays

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the doorbell come into the statements? How do you go by checking/testing statements?
Sw_reset is my doorbell switch. Normally open and closes when pressed. I listed it in the beginning, and it’s in the programming for v_nsw_reset, one of the virtual outlets I listed. I put v at the beginning of every virtual output name to make them easy to identify. So, as you have an input module if you connect a doorbell to say slot four for example. Then I would rename sw_4 to sw_reset or doorbell or anything that makes sense to you. You could also use say a feed mode button in fusion, like feed_d. So you would replace my sw_reset with feed_d and change the closed statement to on. So, if feed_d on then on. As far as testing everything to make sure it’s good to go there are two ways that I’ve done it. The more difficult but straightforward way would be to trip the sensors. My case is easier as they are floats and I can jut pull them or push them to activate. With opticals, if there is no water in your bin you could use a cup of water to trip the sensor. The easy way is to just change the programming of the statements. So, change from if nsw_lo closed then on, to if nsw_lo o open then on. Or vice versa if your switch is normally open, upload to fusion and then watch the tabs for your outlets. You should see your dos go from tbl to off and the solenoid go from off to on. Then trip the hi sensor, or change the closed or open statement, and watch the tabs. The solenoid should switch off, and the heater, pump, and nsw_filled outlets should turn on as well as get a message from fusion stating nsw_filled. Then press the doorbell, feed mode, or virtual you made for a reset and the dos should switch from off to tbl, and you should get an off message from fusion for the alarm. After that, switch the programming back if you went the easy route and your good to go.

edit.. watch the outlets for heater and pump at whatever interval you programmed them to continue running. My programming was several hours later

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sw_reset is my doorbell switch. Normally open and closes when pressed. I listed it in the beginning, and it’s in the programming for v_nsw_reset, one of the virtual outlets I listed. I put v at the beginning of every virtual output name to make them easy to identify. So, as you have an input module if you connect a doorbell to say slot four for example. Then I would rename sw_4 to sw_reset or doorbell or anything that makes sense to you. You could also use say a feed mode button in fusion, like feed_d. So you would replace my sw_reset with feed_d and change the closed statement to on. So, if feed_d on then on. As far as testing everything to make sure it’s good to go there are two ways that I’ve done it. The more difficult but straightforward way would be to trip the sensors. My case is easier as they are floats and I can jut pull them or push them to activate. With opticals, if there is no water in your bin you could use a cup of water to trip the sensor. The easy way is to just change the programming of the statements. So, change from if nsw_lo closed then on, to if nsw_lo o open then on. Or vice versa if your switch is normally open, upload to fusion and then watch the tabs for your outlets. You should see your dos go from tbl to off and the solenoid go from off to on. Then trip the hi sensor, or change the closed or open statement, and watch the tabs. The solenoid should switch off, and the heater, pump, and nsw_filled outlets should turn on as well as get a message from fusion stating nsw_filled. Then press the doorbell, feed mode, or virtual you made for a reset and the dos should switch from off to tbl, and you should get an off message from fusion for the alarm. After that, switch the programming back if you went the easy route and your good to go.

edit.. watch the outlets for heater and pump at whatever interval you programmed them to continue running. My programming was several hours later
When I read your reply I understand, its what I’m looking for but when I read the statements it looses me. So v_nsw_lo is telling another virtual outlet what to do? Not to tell the solenoid to kick on yet the fill switch does that? Could you please list the description with the statement so I can wrap my mind around virtual outlets and my new apex!! For example “the solenoid should switch off,and the heater,pump…..” from your reply above goes with which statements?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read your reply I understand, its what I’m looking for but when I read the statements it looses me. So v_nsw_lo is telling another virtual outlet what to do? Not to tell the solenoid to kick on yet the fill switch does that? Could you please list the description with the statement so I can wrap my mind around virtual outlets and my new apex!! For example “the solenoid should switch off,and the heater,pump…..” from your reply above goes with which statements?
Yes. You are correct. the virtual v_nsw_low does nothing but tell another virtual v_nsw_fill to turn on. The reasoning is that there is a defer statement on the v_nsw_lo that allows for float switch bouncing. It’s not as important with opticals but they too can trip on and off with ripples in the water. With the virtual and defer the sensor has to be tripped for a full minute before it activates. Eliminating nuisance on off issues.

I’ll try to explain more in a little bit. It’s hard for me to go back and forth between stuff as I’m still adjusting to not being able to read or type with my eyes. But basically there’s a reason for every single virtual outlet and line in my message. More later

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You are correct. the virtual v_nsw_low does nothing but tell another virtual v_nsw_fill to turn on. The reasoning is that there is a defer statement on the v_nsw_lo that allows for float switch bouncing. It’s not as important with opticals but they too can trip on and off with ripples in the water. With the virtual and defer the sensor has to be tripped for a full minute before it activates. Eliminating nuisance on off issues.

I’ll try to explain more in a little bit. It’s hard for me to go back and forth between stuff as I’m still adjusting to not being able to read or type with my eyes. But basically there’s a reason for every single virtual outlet and line in my message. More later
Ok thanks for your help. I’m patient; I’m into reefing Lol!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your help. I’m patient; I’m into reefing Lol!
Virtual outlets are

V_nsw_lo … this is a virtual based off your low level sensor to eliminate float bounce nuisance trips
V_nsw_hi … this is a virtual based off your high level sensor to eliminate float bounce nuisance trips
V_nsw_fill … this is a virtual that’s triggered by v_nsw_lo and will turn off the dos awc, and turn on the rodi solenoid
V_nsw_filled … this is a virtual that’s triggered by v_nsw_hi and will turn off the rodi solenoid, send you an alert to let you know your bin is full so you know to add salt, turn on the circulation pump and heater
V_nsw_reset … this is a virtual that’s triggered by sw_reset, the doorbell switch. After you’ve mixed up your salt and checked it’s parameters you press the doorbell or use a feed mode whatever in its place to reset everything. This turns your dos awc back on to tbl, turns off the message alerts from fusion telling you the bin is full, and starts the timer to shut off the circulation pump and heater after nine and a half hours to continue mixing the salt thoroughly. Recheck and adjust if needed. You can change that to whatever you want

programming is

V_nsw_lo
Set off
If nsw_lo closed then on

V_nsw_hi
Set off
If nsw_hi closed then on

v_nsw_fill
Fallback off
If v_nsw_lo = on then on

v_nsw_filled
Set on

v_nsw_reset
Fallback off
If mix_sal > 32 then off

regular outlets

Sw_solenoid
Fallback off
Set off

sw_circ_pump
Fallback off

sw_heater
Fallback off

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Virtual outlets are

V_nsw_lo … this is a virtual based off your low level sensor to eliminate float bounce nuisance trips
V_nsw_hi … this is a virtual based off your high level sensor to eliminate float bounce nuisance trips
V_nsw_fill … this is a virtual that’s triggered by v_nsw_lo and will turn off the dos awc, and turn on the rodi solenoid
V_nsw_filled … this is a virtual that’s triggered by v_nsw_hi and will turn off the rodi solenoid, send you an alert to let you know your bin is full so you know to add salt, turn on the circulation pump and heater
V_nsw_reset … this is a virtual that’s triggered by sw_reset, the doorbell switch. After you’ve mixed up your salt and checked it’s parameters you press the doorbell or use a feed mode whatever in its place to reset everything. This turns your dos awc back on to tbl, turns off the message alerts from fusion telling you the bin is full, and starts the timer to shut off the circulation pump and heater after nine and a half hours to continue mixing the salt thoroughly. Recheck and adjust if needed. You can change that to whatever you want

programming is

V_nsw_lo
Set off
If nsw_lo closed then on

V_nsw_hi
Set off
If nsw_hi closed then on

v_nsw_fill
Fallback off
If v_nsw_lo = on then on

v_nsw_filled
Set on

v_nsw_reset
Fallback off
If mix_sal > 32 then off

regular outlets

Sw_solenoid
Fallback off
Set off

sw_circ_pump
Fallback off

sw_heater
Fallback off

Wow! Thank You. The logic is starting to make sense. I appreciate the help

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank You. The logic is starting to make sense. I appreciate the help
Cool. Play around with it and change whatever you need to fit your needs as you go. In my last description I forgot to reiterate the somewhat dummy proof reset lock that will not allow you to reset everything if the salinity is too low. I set it low at 32 on purpose. I do not recommend setting it any higher. Salinity probes in a tank with constant circ read pretty well. At the bottom of a bin that empties, fills, changes temp drastically, etc., can drift up and down a bit. You may need to even go lower. It’s really not for verifying the actual salinity in this case. It’s just to make sure that you put some salt in as I have been sidetracked and reset after I thought I added salt, when I actually didn’t. Manually check salinity before resetting and check it again the next day to verify as sometimes it changes just a little after it’s mixed and temp has stabilized over hours.

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Play around with it and change whatever you need to fit your needs as you go. In my last description I forgot to reiterate the somewhat dummy proof reset lock that will not allow you to reset everything if the salinity is too low. I set it low at 32 on purpose. I do not recommend setting it any higher. Salinity probes in a tank with constant circ read pretty well. At the bottom of a bin that empties, fills, changes temp drastically, etc., can drift up and down a bit. You may need to even go lower. It’s really not for verifying the actual salinity in this case. It’s just to make sure that you put some salt in as I have been sidetracked and reset after I thought I added salt, when I actually didn’t. Manually check salinity before resetting and check it again the next day to verify as sometimes it changes just a little after it’s mixed and temp has stabilized over hours.
I really appreciate the help and explanation of the statements!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use this statement on auto refill of ato res. Just remove the reset, circ. Pump, heater, and dos lines? Basically alerting me that the bin is low, filling, and filled?
Yes you could. I personally do not. I have my rodi tank setup to auto fill by turning on the solenoid when low and off when high but do not have any alarms set. Depending on how large your vessel is, you may be getting an annoying amount of alerts as they come every hour. If you don’t mind the hourly alerts, cool. The low level only wouldn’t be too bad as once it gets enough water to reset the sensor the alarm message will stop. An alert on filling will continue to send messages until it’s full, which depending on your bin may be annoying. An alert on the high level might be annoying if your ato doesn’t draw enough to reset the high level switch in a short amount of time. You could make up statements based off of time though which I’ve thought about doing, basically a warning if the bin got low and called to be filled but did not clear the low level or hit the high level within a certain amount of time. As in the solenoid being burnt out and not letting water flow, a leak, or a closed valve at the rodi unit itself. The trick in the calculation would be to allow for both the NSW bin and rodi bin filling separately meaning faster or at the same time taking much longer. As they are automatic they will both call for water at the same time occasionally which might trip an alarm. You can pretty much do anything with an apex if you put your mind and money into it!

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you could. I personally do not. I have my rodi tank setup to auto fill by turning on the solenoid when low and off when high but do not have any alarms set. Depending on how large your vessel is, you may be getting an annoying amount of alerts as they come every hour. If you don’t mind the hourly alerts, cool. The low level only wouldn’t be too bad as once it gets enough water to reset the sensor the alarm message will stop. An alert on filling will continue to send messages until it’s full, which depending on your bin may be annoying. An alert on the high level might be annoying if your ato doesn’t draw enough to reset the high level switch in a short amount of time. You could make up statements based off of time though which I’ve thought about doing, basically a warning if the bin got low and called to be filled but did not clear the low level or hit the high level within a certain amount of time. As in the solenoid being burnt out and not letting water flow, a leak, or a closed valve at the rodi unit itself. The trick in the calculation would be to allow for both the NSW bin and rodi bin filling separately meaning faster or at the same time taking much longer. As they are automatic they will both call for water at the same time occasionally which might trip an alarm. You can pretty much do anything with an apex if you put your mind and money into it!
I heard you could do just about anything plus automation! I had to have one

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all I would need is a breakout box and a two wire doorbell? Any suggestions on make?
Any cheap doorbell switch is fine, not lighted. Look at the avast breakout vs Neptune. I have Neptune and you have to connect all the common wires of all your sensors and switches together. Which is a bit of a pain if you have to add, remove, or switch around anything. Avast has theirs so each input has a common and switch connector so each can be independently removed. You have opticals on a fmm I’m guessing, so for one single input it doesn’t matter. If you think you’ll ever add more inputs then for sure go for the avast. Also, I mounted my doorbell switch up high in a weird spot, on purpose, so I couldn’t accidentally hit it when adding salt. You don’t want it where your elbow hits it when you’re dumping in salt. One last recommendation if you diy a connector for your dos you can add two opticals per dos, or just short one wire to enable the ddr container graphic which will give you a visual representation of how much NSW you have left in your mixing bin at any given time. I can’t walk you through that though with my vision. You’d have to search for dos ddr hack, it’s a thread on here somewhere that gives you the pin outs and tells you what connector you need from digikey. I have it written down in my notes, but I can’t do anything with that. I remember it was super simple. It doesn’t do anything of any value, it’s just the cool factor of having a fuel gauge for your NSW.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t I want to have the statement say:

V_nsw_lo
Set off
IF nsw_lo open then on ?????

my low sensor is closed right now meaning it is covered in water
Yes, along with all the other sensors. I thought I mentioned it early on but I may not have, I’m using float sensors so you would need to correct the open closed statements for your setup.

OP
OP
I

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, along with all the other sensors. I thought I mentioned it early on but I may not have, I’m using float sensors so you would need to correct the open closed statements for your setup.
Ok you did I just read through everything

Wouldn’t I want to have the statement say:

V_nsw_lo
Set off
IF nsw_lo open then on ?????

my low sensor is closed right now meaning it is covered in waterIt wont let me input the

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back