Moved my tank...AGAIN

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new carpet went in yesterday, and for the second time in 9 days I moved my 16 gal nano.
I am exhausted :squigglemouth:
Sure hope that my luck holds. After the first move I managed to avoid any fluctuations in my numbers. I did have a small 2 day diatom bloom, but nothing registered as being wrong.
When I put it back in it's rightful place today I took advantage of the opportunity and fixed flaws in my aquascape....a couple a zipties and some slight rearranging gives me more depth and more security from rock slides.
So let's all cross our fingers that my luck holds, and that my system doesn't suffer some sort of crash or nasty spike.
Most of my corals and polyps are open already......but time will tell I guess :pout:

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving tanks is one of my least favorite things to do beside painting. But it's a great time, like you said, to fix problems that you foresee. I have a tank in my office. A 24g nano. When I moved I broke it completely down, drilled it, added a 20g acrylic sump and a huge skimmer. What kind of livestock do you have in there?

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving tanks is one of my least favorite things to do beside painting. But it's a great time, like you said, to fix problems that you foresee. I have a tank in my office. A 24g nano. When I moved I broke it completely down, drilled it, added a 20g acrylic sump and a huge skimmer. What kind of livestock do you have in there?
Oh wow. Luckily my 'fixes' were all in layout of equipment, electrical, and a few aquascape touches.
I have:
5 astrae snail
3 nassarius snails
1 fighting conch
3 bumble bee snails
3 blue hermits
1 scarlet hermit
1 lg emerald crab
3 peppermint shrimp
watchman goby
lettuce nudi
tuxedo urchin
GSP
Anthelia
Xenia
Zoas
Blue clove
Palys
Candy cane
Assorted shrooms

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the fighting conch last yesterday. Not sure why exactly.... all parameters are still testing out fine.
Could be he starved I suppose....my tank is pretty darn clean and I try very hard not to over feed.
I will certainly keep a very watchful eye on everything for a few more days before I relax

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer about the conch Mark. Sorry. Sounds like you are being diligent in your attempts to protect all your critters though and it wasn't for a lack of effort.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks TW. I always thought it was a bit to large for the tank anyway...and have been worried it wasn't getting enough to eat. between the emerald crab, the scampi triplets (peppermint shrimp), and the 4 assorted hermits there is rarely a morsel of food left.
I am always sad when something dies while in my care.......

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best of luck bud!

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel, last night I removed one of my base rock, had to rescapes half of the tank to my satisfaction, I did not go to bed until 3 am; now I am feeling light headed at work...all worth it though.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, the things we put ourselves through for our pets...wet ones and dry ones :tongue:

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****... I'm scared to move houses. I just want to leave me 29 Biocube where it sits.
You'll be okay. Just have a detailed plan set for yourself, and take your time.
It took me about 5 hours each time to make the move from downstairs to upstairs and than back again.
The biggest time waster for me was waiting for water temps to match up before reintroducing the water and critters back into the tank.

A-SpecUA6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 hours aint too bad.. Yeah maybe I can have new water with my extra heater in it so it can be temp ready. Where did you keep your livestock, in a bucket with a heater?

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 hours aint too bad.. Yeah maybe I can have new water with my extra heater in it so it can be temp ready. Where did you keep your livestock, in a bucket with a heater?
I had fish in one and corals and inverts in another. Heaters and powerheads going....still took time for temps to balance however.
Lost my royal gramma on the first move, but he had had ich the week before and so am not sure if the move got to him or the stress and ich.
Lost my fighting conch on the second move, but again don't know if the move did it somehow or if he died of other causes.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd update everyone on how the tank settled back in nicely.
All parameters are perfect (knock on wood)
Everybody looks happy as heck.
nano16at3months.jpg

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate moving them. It looks like it settled nicely.

I hope I don't have to move it/them ever again. The next time will be when they are broken down and sold off before our move to Florida in 2020

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your Nudi? Ive been looking in curiosity, but never pulled the trigger.
Oh wow. Luckily my 'fixes' were all in layout of equipment, electrical, and a few aquascape touches.
I have:
5 astrae snail
3 nassarius snails
1 fighting conch
3 bumble bee snails
3 blue hermits
1 scarlet hermit
1 lg emerald crab
3 peppermint shrimp
watchman goby
lettuce nudi
tuxedo urchin
GSP
Anthelia
Xenia
Zoas
Blue clove
Palys
Candy cane
Assorted shrooms

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back