Moving dosing containers to garage? Bad idea?

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear of any potential issues with moving my dosing containers to my garage. I live in AZ so the garage does get hot in the summer. Is there any negative or possible chemical changes due to the heat? I dose using the TM/BRS hybrid via 1gallon containers. Actually now that I think abut it, I mix the solutions in 5 gallon batches and keep those containers in the garage. Would really like to hear if this is something that isn't in the best interest of my reef tank chemistry. Appreciate any advice from RHF.
Thanks in advance. JP

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what else you keep out there
I keep cars that put out monoxide, weed killer, insect spray, paint thinner...
So I would keep all my reef stuff away from MY garage...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat is no concern (unless it makes organic chemicals leach from the containers they are in). Cold may make alk solutions precipitate from solution.

OP
OP
jporter17

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what else you keep out there
I keep cars that put out monoxide, weed killer, insect spray, paint thinner...
So I would keep all my reef stuff away from MY garage...
Our cars stay in the garage but they aren’t running unless the garage doors are open. We have a pest service but they don’t spray in the garage. I was more concerned with the solutions being affected by the heat. Thanks for the replies.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear of any potential issues with moving my dosing containers to my garage. I live in AZ so the garage does get hot in the summer. Is there any negative or possible chemical changes due to the heat? I dose using the TM/BRS hybrid via 1gallon containers. Actually now that I think abut it, I mix the solutions in 5 gallon batches and keep those containers in the garage. Would really like to hear if this is something that isn't in the best interest of my reef tank chemistry. Appreciate any advice from RHF.
Thanks in advance. JP
One thing that wasn’t mentioned was expansion. If you fill your jug completely, and it gets hot as our garages in Phoenix do, it will expand and some will spill out. So I would keep that in mind when filling your containers.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our cars stay in the garage but they aren’t running unless the garage doors are open. We have a pest service but they don’t spray in the garage. I was more concerned with the solutions being affected by the heat. Thanks for the replies.
I sorry, I misread your post - I thought you were going to be storing them as the active dosing containers, feeding through a wall or something - hence my concern, but it was a bad read, not a bad statement

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back