Moving, thinking about starting over.

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older tank. Have five fish a 4 small corals. I am moving in about a month. This is an old tank and the rock smells like old algae. I was thinking about kinda starting over, but the live rock is very red and green coraline algae encrusted and there some stuff growing on it, both good and bad.
When I move and take it apart, I was wanting to do the ATI essentiasls method. Should I take the rock down to the base or a short bleach dip? I am also going to drill tank and get rid of over the tank overflow and going to the Herbie method.
I have a 35 to put corals and fish in while I do changeover. If possible, a step by step would be nice.

Will

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have really bad pest don't bleach your Liverock. A new tank move or build is the best time to re-due your aquascape. Dry rock is cheap and easy to work with so perhaps buy $50 worth of marco rock and make a few new structures. Dump the remaining in the sump so your tank cycles. Using all dryrock has its own set of challenges so I prefer a 50/50 mix of LR.Dryrock. Using actual LR that has been cured in your own tank is more valuable then buying newspaper covered premium LR so use it.

OP
OP
Will Milberger

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to disagree with you on that. I don't have many pests. Some stuff growing on it that's not "pretty", though. I've had this tank over 10 years. The only issue I have left is that the rock I do have smells. How do I get rid of that smell? Or are you saying dump the old rock except for "seed"?
Will

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to disagree with you on that. I don't have many pests. Some stuff growing on it that's not "pretty", though. I've had this tank over 10 years. The only issue I have left is that the rock I do have smells. How do I get rid of that smell? Or are you saying dump the old rock except for "seed"?
Will

How long have the rocks smelled? Usually they smell when they arrive and have die off.. Perhaps you can scape them and let them cure for a few weeks. If you have sponges and stuff growing on them make a spot in the sump for them. I just ordered a acrylic container I will add to my sump just so i can add some LR covered sponges and rubble in a dark place.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back