Moving to a new house

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the process of buying a new house that is about 20 miles from our current house where i have a 180 gallon tank with a 60 gallon fuge. The tank has been setup for just over a year so fairly mature. I have several tangs, anemones and soft coral. I have two grown sons capable of moving the empty tank but was wondering how best to accomplish this move. What is the best way to move the fish and coral? What is the best way to maintain the tank maturity. I have a mandarin so would like to keep the copepod population healthy.

Any advise is appreciated while as i plan this out. Hopefully close on the house end of this month.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few great guides out there- I would start here:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! If you have any specific questions or concerns or anything else pops up, don't hesitate to ask the community! At some point, someone here has already made the mistake and can certainly save you the headache!

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! If you have any specific questions or concerns or anything else pops up, don't hesitate to ask the community! At some point, someone here has already made the mistake and can certainly save you the headache!
+1 on this. I've moved my 220 twice over the last 7 years. It's a great time to redo anything you're not happy with. I went from 1 return to 2 on my last move.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this. I've moved my 220 twice over the last 7 years. It's a great time to redo anything you're not happy with. I went from 1 return to 2 on my last move.
That's what i would like to do. Im trying to figure out where i put my fish and coral while im changing the tank. Ideally i would like to build a new stand.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short to mid term, heavy duty plastic bins can be used to store and transport your rock. Add a heater and powerhead/airstone if it's going to sit for a couple hours or days as you get set up. Great for temporarily holding fish and coral as well.

Definitely a great opportunity to give everything a good clean too. Get those hard to reach places.

Most people suggest throwing away your old sand and buy new. You can totally reuse your old sand, you just have to very thoroughly rinse it. Keeping a few handfuls of the sand in tank water to seed the rest with sweet, sweet bacteria.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know a whole lot about copepod cultivation or how many a mandarin requires, but I would think if you kept as much of your rock as you can wet and warm that should help preserve them.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For copepods, maybe you could get some of the body wash poofs and put them in the tank. As the pods start living in them, you could shake them out into something like one of the nets that stays in the tank for baby fish.

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what i would like to do. Im trying to figure out where i put my fish and coral while im changing the tank. Ideally i would like to build a new stand.

Build your stand now and have everything ready such that you are just dealing with the tear down, move, set up on the day of. +1 to what others said re: rubbermaid trash cans w/ heaters and air stones. I used 2 trash bins for the rock, and had 5 gallon buckets for the fish. I also had ~30 5 gallon containers to salvage as much of my water that I could just to keep things as stable as possible.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back