MP10 or Nero 3, need some help

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

So I'm currently in the planning stage of my nano reef, a Red Sea Max Nano. It's a 20G, 75L, AIO tank. I've been trying to decide on my powerhead, looking for something that is reliable, as well as good quality and ease of use. I love the idea of the MP10, no wires in the tank is a MASSIVE plus, not just for heat, but it looks much nicer as well. Heard lots of good things about the MP10 reliability as well. On the other hand, the Nero 3 has awesome reviews, can be adjusted in different directions, has a smaller in tank size, but has wires.

I'm honestly not sure, I'm leaning towards the MP10, but would like some other opinions before I pull the trigger.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 3 in my biocube 32, been very happy with it . The apps simple to use and adjust . Its really nice to tweak the flow throughout different times of day, giving my lps variety.

Is it particularly loud?

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar AIO nano. Cost was a factor for me. I was able to get two Nero 3s for the price of one MP10. I'm happy with their performance and appearance in the tank. I don't find them distracting and I don't mind the wires. App is easy to use, no complaints there.

They aren't perfect, though. If you use the included protective shroud, they will lose just about all of their adjustability. I've had a nearly brand new one lock up a couple times after having it turned off during a WC. I just had to pop off the shroud, spin the blade and it worked again. This is an issue you can google.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has also had the locking up issue mentioned above, acted like something was caught in the impeller , then suddenly cleared itself..just something to be aware of. My coral beauty and clowns LOVE swimming in the flow coming off it too

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Nero 3 but I run my neros 100% and they are pretty loud I can here it over 8’ away . I will never buy another ecotech power head I just don’t like them and there price

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has also had the locking up issue mentioned above, acted like something was caught in the impeller , then suddenly cleared itself..just something to be aware of. My coral beauty and clowns LOVE swimming in the flow coming off it too
What size tank are you running it in?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Nero 3 but I run my neros 100% and they are pretty loud I can here it over 8’ away . I will never buy another ecotech power head I just don’t like them and there price
Why don’t you like them?

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! i have a reefer nano as well, i use 2 mp10 on both sides of the back wall. i like it so far. plus i have Radion XR30, works really well using the Mobuis app. now choosing between mp10 and Nero 3, it will always come down to personal choice. but any of the two will work well. or maybe try a Red Sea Gyre.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20g AIO I’d look at a Nero 5 or maybe one or two Nero 3s. No exp with Nero 3s, but I did run a single Nero 5 in a WB20 cube before and I currently run a single Nero 5 in a IM30 AIO.

I prefer dueling powerheads for flow, but a single MP10 would also be okay in a 20 cube. Removing the heat from the tank with MP10s is a major plus if the tank likes to run on the hotter side.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20g AIO I’d look at a Nero 5 or maybe one or two Nero 3s. No exp with Nero 3s, but I did run a single Nero 5 in a WB20 cube before and I currently run a single Nero 5 in a IM30 AIO.

I prefer dueling powerheads for flow, but a single MP10 would also be okay in a 20 cube. Removing the heat from the tank with MP10s is a major plus if the tank likes to run on the hotter side.
Hahaha, I live in Western Australia so the heat is always bad here, would be a major plus. The Nero 3s and MP10s seem so similar, both amazing powerheads so it’s really hard to decide.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! i have a reefer nano as well, i use 2 mp10 on both sides of the back wall. i like it so far. plus i have Radion XR30, works really well using the Mobuis app. now choosing between mp10 and Nero 3, it will always come down to personal choice. but any of the two will work well. or maybe try a Red Sea Gyre.
Oooh okay I’ll check it out. What size nano is it, and how do you find the MP10s and the work they put in for your tank?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great way to have MPs in a tank. Putting them on the back hides the external “wart”. I run 2 Nero 5s on the back wall of a Reefer 170. It’s a clean look with good flow. The thin Nero cords disappear against the black back wall.

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh okay I’ll check it out. What size nano is it, and how do you find the MP10s and the work they put in for your tank?

I have the Reefer Nano, so its like yours on the display but with a sump. i am setting up for SPS tank thats why i have two. i need that flow. you can set the mp10 on the side of your tank.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reefer Nano, so its like yours on the display but with a sump. i am setting up for SPS tank thats why i have two. i need that flow. you can set the mp10 on the side of your tank.
Oooh okay I see. I’m mainly going for a soft coral tank, with a few SPS and maybeeee LPS at some point. Might potentially start off with just the one MP10, then if down the track when I get some sps, could upgrade to another then

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

So I'm currently in the planning stage of my nano reef, a Red Sea Max Nano. It's a 20G, 75L, AIO tank. I've been trying to decide on my powerhead, looking for something that is reliable, as well as good quality and ease of use. I love the idea of the MP10, no wires in the tank is a MASSIVE plus, not just for heat, but it looks much nicer as well. Heard lots of good things about the MP10 reliability as well. On the other hand, the Nero 3 has awesome reviews, can be adjusted in different directions, has a smaller in tank size, but has wires.

I'm honestly not sure, I'm leaning towards the MP10, but would like some other opinions before I pull the trigger.

Nero 3, I don’t find the new MP10 wet side to be reliable at all due to the thin ceramic shaft. You can find threads on this compliant. MP40 seems to have a better made wet side.

Tons of google hits and even YouTube videos about ways to try and DIY fix the shaft. Big red flag.

I had three MP10s that lasted a long time but replaced them when I realized the new wet sides are junky.

The Nero has a wider flow pattern and can be angled a bit.

Last edited:

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you like them?
I just don’t like how it’s one straight line of flow you can’t really angle at all . I know the neros can’t really angle that much but at least it’s somthing . I also like the wider flow of the neros and the whole cord thing I could care less about . I would love to try the mp 40s on my new build but for the price they want is not worth it to me but to each there own

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Nero 3's in a 60 gallon cube and they work well. Mine are very quite up to 60%, after that you can start to hear them a little.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t like how it’s one straight line of flow you can’t really angle at all . I know the neros can’t really angle that much but at least it’s somthing . I also like the wider flow of the neros and the whole cord thing I could care less about . I would love to try the mp 40s on my new build but for the price they want is not worth it to me but to each there own
Oooh I didn’t realise it was a wider flow on the Nero. That’s a big thing to consider. Might be able to get around the cord thing by using plugs to hold it to the tank wall or something similar…

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back