MP10 Sync or Anti Sync

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, when would I use these modes? I now have a larger tank (65 gal) and two MP10s on the opposite side walls. I assume Sync allows me to have those modes listed in the manual, however, I don't think there is mention of antisync. Antisync seems to provide more turbulence in my tank (simply guessing if does the exact opposite of what the parent is doing. Any thoughts and shared experience is helpful. Also, I'm assuming echosmart back would be if I placed a powerhead on the back of the tank. Thanks in advance.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sync and antisynch simply means that in sync, the slave pump will spin at the same speed as the master. 50% speed on pump one 50% speed on pump two ect... Anti Sync means the second or slave pump will do the opposite. So if the master pump is at 100% the slave will be at 10% and as the master pump starts slowing down the slave pump will start speeding up, being opposite of the master pump.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you like one placement over the other? I’ve thought about the back wall. I’m trying different modes and placed a Frogspawn in from another tank to see how it moves. This is part of the fun, to tinker. Thank you both for the responses, it’s very helpful :)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer placement on opposite ends. As an SPS guy, I found that with both Vortechs on the back wall and flow only pushing forward, over time as SPS grow, it leads to weird growth patterns slanted forward. With flow pushing from opposite ends, SPS frags grow into more even, natural looking colonies.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I run a Reef Crest mode in one MP40, and a constant at the same speed in the other, both on opposite ends of the tank. This was suggested by Ecotech in their coral labs.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I run a Reef Crest mode in one MP40, and a constant at the same speed in the other, both on opposite ends of the tank. This was suggested by Ecotech in their coral labs.

And that is the type of information I wish they shared. Again, I understand every tank is different from the return, to overflow to aquascape, corals and even that changes over time as they grow. Thanks for the response. I plan on trying different combinations and observing how things move.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is a peninula tank , 4x2.5x2 ft and i have 1x mp40 wes and 1x mp40 qd

i place that next to over flow box, any recommendation on how to get the optimum flow ?

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. This gives me more options to try as I work through this. I want have a better flow towards my overflow so a constant in that direction and variable in the other will help with that.

I noticed the following in the material ;

Page 3: “These systems are running an MP40 at 100% in Constant mode and an MP60 running Reefcrest random at 60-80%.”

Page 4: “The MP40 is set in Reefcrest Random mode and the MP60 is set in a reduced Constant mode (60%).”

Not picking the material apart, but since this was my focus it jumped out at me. I get the spirit of what was written, may have gotten the modes confused.

Excited to try this later today :).

Thanks again for the material.

A peninsula definitely poses a challenge with powerhead placement and maintaining all that viewing wonderful viewing space.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't know how you do this with a peninsula...

Is there a cover over this? If there's a hood, perhaps you could run your returns to the far end of the tank, and then put your MP10's on the wall side, one top, one bottom and offset of each other.

Dana Riddle did a brilliant MACNA presentation on the importance and dynamics of in-tank flow, on reducing the barrier layer and increasing transport of nutrients into the coral here:

This really changed the way I thought about my tank. Having one constant MP40 and one ReefCrest provides a transecting flow pattern that I believe, really increases potential across the coral surfaces as Dana suggests.

I can't prove this scientifically myself, but I tend to trust the video and he does provide data to support this.

One thing to note, when I was using the sync mode, my LPS would sway in the direction of whichever pump was dominant at the time. Flow was obviously very directional. Since changing to this mode, my LPS move somewhat randomly, but don't blow to the side like previously. I imagine this is because they're getting hit from both sides simultaneously, which is the desired effect.

And, FWIW, I don't use a night mode. The ocean doesn't sleep, neither does my tank! Hah :)

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note, Mr. Saltwater tank has a 420g (or something there abouts) peninsula tank, perhaps check him out and see what he does? I'm pretty sure he has a whole bunch of MP60's going in there.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a pensula tank, I’m thinking no MP powerheads. On the far display end, I would not want them because I’m assuming that would be a traffic area and would only want low profile items on the outside. So no motor outside on that end, and the other where my return and overflow are, as long as the powerhead has a sealed magnet for the outside mount, I would use those. This is not criticizing anyone who has MPs on a pensula, but I do like a puzzle.

I will post a layout of my tank. All this is giving me so much food for thought. It’s a 65 corner flow. So I’m thinking my constant and higher powered pump pushing at the overflow and on the opposite side, the variable mode selected MP a little more forward but colliding with some of the opposing MP. I will pay attention to flow on the surface to make sure it gets to the overflow. I will also give consideration to the anti sync I had going yesterday that moved food, not sand, across the floor and up. It was very interesting. My tank is very new so just a few fish in there to get things going.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a pensula tank, I’m thinking no MP powerheads. On the far display end, I would not want them because I’m assuming that would be a traffic area and would only want low profile items on the outside.

Agree. The magnets are pretty strong, but I've knocked the MP40 motors off of my tank brushing by them, which sends the wet side sailing into the tank as well. This is also why it's critical to attach the motor cable ABOVE the dry side, so if it falls off, it doesn't hit the ground.

Are you running a controller on this tank? I don't see it mentioned. For the far side, you may consider going "cheap" and getting a constant speed power head, and cycling it on and off via an outlet on an EB8 or something. This way, you can mount it up high and angle it down, so it would be as minimal impact visually as possible.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed an immediate difference. My right is on 75% constant going towards the mid overflow and left 60% reef. I fed heavy to see what went where. Food moved all around until it went through a powerhead or in the overflow. It remained suspended also. Very happy with that. I will contune to try other setting but this has been great, thank you everyone!

https://instagram.com/p/Bam7YPhDzMp/

Back