MP10QD falling off glass!?!

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much as the title implies, I’ve come home from work on two separate occasions to find the wetside on my sand, and my motor on the ground still on...

Has anyone else had this mysterious situation occur? I have no other animals in the apartment, my only tank inhabitants are a pair of clowns, 6 line, zoas, and an anemone...

The first time I suspected the anemone lodged itself in the pump, causing the prop to stop, and the motor, still spinning, flung itself off.

Or my other thought was my roommate seen/heard something and just knew that the pump needs to be attached in order to work, and in fear of hitting the wrong button, he did that. But I spoke to him and he didn’t , nor would he do that, he would call me.

My off the wall thought is my female clown, whom I’ve seen move snails and hermit shells with her mouth if they’re near her “bed”. Maybe she’s grown some higher intellectual properties and knows that if she throws a shell in there, it’ll stop it. Lol idk

Which brings me to last night, Friday the 13th lol, I find the pump once again off the tank, still on, just on the floor. The roomie said he didn’t notice it before he split for the gym at like 2, everything was “normal”

I guess my question is, what’s the culprit. The pumps been on my tank for over a year now, no problems what so ever. Is something causing the prop to stop spinning and instead of the plastic breaking ( which would by my initial thought) the motor dislodged itself to prevent that?

Or do I just have a prick of a ghost in my apartment? All suggestions welcome. I kinda need my flow to not fall off. Literally.

Thanks-
Rob.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more thorough research, I’m suspecting it to be a faulty wetside. I’m not the only one apparently who’s had this happen. But what’s weird is, the old generation, would make a noticeable noise if it was broke. My quiet drive is as stated pretty quiet, and it makes contact still. Woke up this morning and it was still on there... weird.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How thick is your glass? Are you cleaning the glass before putting the wetside in? Why is your dryside not securely attached to something to keep it from falling to the ground?

The little black wire holders are provided for this reason. Attach it to the tank, zip tie the wire in and viola, no more motor on the ground. A busted dryside isn't cheap to replace.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is your glass? Are you cleaning the glass before putting the wetside in? Why is your dryside not securely attached to something to keep it from falling to the ground?

The little black wire holders are provided for this reason. Attach it to the tank, zip tie the wire in and viola, no more motor on the ground. A busted dryside isn't cheap to replace.
This, you're suppose to run your wire along the top of your tank, and use the provided stick on holder and zip tie, so the fixture is "hanging". That way if you do have a pump disconnect, the unit hangs there instead of falling to the ground and damaging the dry side which is expensive to replace.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I get where your coming from, but that’s not an option. Glass is maybe 8mm thick. Not much, but it’s rimless and I have no where to attach those sticky things. Plus they’re ugly as crap imo. I’m just curious why it’s seperaging in the first place. Honestly not too concerned with the dry side. It’s not like. 4-5 foot fall onto tile. It’s a small stand, maybe 30 inches high. And it’s carpet. I see where the concern is, but if the dang thing wouldn’t detach, I wouldn’t have to worry about this. Plus my stand isn’t flush with the back of the tank. There’s a solid 4” to catch the dry side which it did once, but the second time it was on the floor. I’m going to inspect the wetside when I get home, and I’m also on BRS about to order some back up wetsides so I can switch between two. I appreciate the input, and as much as it seems like I’m avoiding your solution, it has been considered, however I’m wondering why they just pop off. It’s never happened before. And all the sudden twice in a week... the glass is clean as well there’s a circle of clean glass where it’s been sitting for months, and I wipe it free of film each time. That’s not it...

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I get where your coming from, but that’s not an option. Glass is maybe 8mm thick. Not much, but it’s rimless and I have no where to attach those sticky things. Plus they’re ugly as crap imo. I’m just curious why it’s seperaging in the first place. Honestly not too concerned with the dry side. It’s not like. 4-5 foot fall onto tile. It’s a small stand, maybe 30 inches high. And it’s carpet. I see where the concern is, but if the dang thing wouldn’t detach, I wouldn’t have to worry about this. Plus my stand isn’t flush with the back of the tank. There’s a solid 4” to catch the dry side which it did once, but the second time it was on the floor. I’m going to inspect the wetside when I get home, and I’m also on BRS about to order some back up wetsides so I can switch between two. I appreciate the input, and as much as it seems like I’m avoiding your solution, it has been considered, however I’m wondering why they just pop off. It’s never happened before. And all the sudden twice in a week... the glass is clean as well there’s a circle of clean glass where it’s been sitting for months, and I wipe it free of film each time. That’s not it...

When was the last time you cleaned the wet side? Full tear down and cleaning. If the wetside is getting dirty and restricted, the outside magnet may be spinning more than the inside magnet, and if thats the case, as the outside magnet outspins the inside magnet, you get a temporary sudden switch of polarity where the magnets push each other away instead of pulling together, resulting in your sides becoming detatched.

|I have no where to attach those sticky things.
They're sticky, you put them right on the glass near the top....
UxYmIqyl.jpg

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I absolutely need to rig up something to prevent it from falling, I will, I just wanna know what’s causing it. I feel like if it detached and didn’t fall... wouldn’t it just have like an incorrect position and flop and make those awful noises it makes when it’s not lined up...

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use the sticky things and zip tie. It is the only way they will work. Otherwise they will always vibrate some and fall apart. I would do it sooner than later as it’s really bad for the dry side to run separated and you can end up over heating it and causing permanent damage.
I went through the same thing on 3 mp10s when I first set up my tank. I had ordered 2 and they had replaced one. They will all vibrate apart and end up separated unless you use the hanger and zip tie.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you cleaned the wet side? Full tear down and cleaning. If the wetside is getting dirty and restricted, the outside magnet may be spinning more than the inside magnet, and if thats the case, as the outside magnet outspins the inside magnet, you get a temporary sudden switch of polarity where the magnets push each other away instead of pulling together, resulting in your sides becoming detatched.

|I have no where to attach those sticky things.
They're sticky, you put them right on the glass near the top....
UxYmIqyl.jpg

It’s been a while, honestly. Life’s always getting in the way of that duty. I see where you’re coming from with that theory on the dirtiness of the magnet. That’s actually kinda makes since. And it might just like “buck” itself off when. The polarity of magnets is switched. Thanks man, I may have to get a new wetside pair and switch them out periodically.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while, honestly. Life’s always getting in the way of that duty. I see where you’re coming from with that theory on the dirtiness of the magnet. That’s actually kinda makes since. And it might just like “buck” itself off when. The polarity of magnets is switched. Thanks man, I may have to get a new wetside pair and switch them out periodically.
I have two mp10's and keep three wetsides handy, and do a rotation, swap out the left side and put the 3rd one in its place, clean it, and then when the right side becomes dirty take that one out and swap it with the one that used to be on the left side and clean the right side. And so on and so on....

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use the sticky things and zip tie. It is the only way they will work. Otherwise they will always vibrate some and fall apart. I would do it sooner than later as it’s really bad for the dry side to run separated and you can end up over heating it and causing permanent damage.
I went through the same thing on 3 mp10s when I first set up my tank. I had ordered 2 and they had replaced one. They will all vibrate apart and end up separated unless you use the hanger and zip tie.
Cool thanks, I was under the assumption the magnets were good enough, and tbh they’ve done great. I’ve had both generations and this new one is way better with vibration. I don’t think it’s the sole culprit, but I suspect it could definitely aid in it. I’m just a hardheaded dude I suppose. I’ll attach the mounts later tonight as well. I’d hate to have the dry side overheat over my hardheadedness Thanks
I have two mp10's and keep three wetsides handy, and do a rotation, swap out the left side and put the 3rd one in its place, clean it, and then when the right side becomes dirty take that one out and swap it with the one that used to be on the left side and clean the right side. And so on and so on....

Yeah I’m gonna have to immulate that technique. Thanks again man. Sucks, but looks like I’m gonna have some work to do and money to spend. lol story of my life.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you losing power? I had an issue with an MP10 falling off the glass when the power came back on due to polarity change. After I added the battery back up haven't had this issue.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back