Mp40 extension

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm part way through setting up my tank and noticed the mp40 dry side to controller isn't long enough to get it from one side of my tank to the other where I want to house the controller.

I know you can buy a plug n play extension cable, but do people also just make their own at all also?
The aqualife or whatever the store is called is in the US, so I dont want to wait weeks for shipping to Aus especially over the holiday break.

Any info appreciated!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm part way through setting up my tank and noticed the mp40 dry side to controller isn't long enough to get it from one side of my tank to the other where I want to house the controller.

I know you can buy a plug n play extension cable, but do people also just make their own at all also?
The aqualife or whatever the store is called is in the US, so I dont want to wait weeks for shipping to Aus especially over the holiday break.

Any info appreciated!
Not sure how helpful this is, but I run my MP40s off the Mobius app. So except for calibration when I set it up, I don’t think I’ve actually touched my controller. So maybe it’s easier to leave the controller someplace accessible knowing you don’t need to really use it for control. Unless of course you want the blinky light stuff all together. Totally understand that as well.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can buy them. I would get from an marine boat electronics store versus an aquatic store to save money. It's just an S cable with water shielding. But make sure they have the same pin layout. Not all are the same. You could cut it, then solder in. I would guess they are three, one hot, ground, and neutral. Probably 18 to 16 gauge. To be honest I am not even sure mine are long enough. I might be soldering mine. We will see.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful this is, but I run my MP40s off the Mobius app. So except for calibration when I set it up, I don’t think I’ve actually touched my controller. So maybe it’s easier to leave the controller someplace accessible knowing you don’t need to really use it for control. Unless of course you want the blinky light stuff all together. Totally understand that as well.
Like you I intend to just use mobius to control everything but definitely want all the blinky lights together in one spot to keep things cleaner and more organised.
Yes you can buy them. I would get from an marine boat electronics store versus an aquatic store to save money. It's just an S cable with water shielding. But make sure they have the same pin layout. Not all are the same. You could cut it, then solder in. I would guess they are three, one hot, ground, and neutral. Probably 18 to 16 gauge. To be honest I am not even sure mine are long enough. I might be soldering mine. We will see.

Thanks, I'm not afraid to do electronic stuff if I know what to use but gotta know what to use first.

The lfs is waiting on a reaponse from ecotech on it but I'm thinking they'll give me a response I'm not too fussed with such as sending the unit to them to do.. we'll see...

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the words reef to anything and it’s for sure an extra $100.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a seller on Ebay that has them, have the same problem with mine, wanted to house all the controllers on the RHS of my tank, but the cable isnt long enough.
Ecotech used to sell them, but stopped a while back it would seem - quoting that they had some issues extending them.
Not cheap though - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304346547794

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back