Mp40 flow too strong

Max Blais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.. so i have a 30x30x24 90g cube tank. With one mp40qd on the back wall, i am getting way too much flow for my lps even at 1% reef crest mode... the minimum flow i get on mobius is 1700gph. I am running it on feed mode at 40% right now at 800gph on mobius. What are my option ? Glass is 1/2 thick. Should i go with a nero 3 ? Any way to slow down the mp40 and still get random flow ?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran one on the back wall of a 24x20x20 inch tank along with an mp10 on the back wall. I ran it at 15% if I remember correctly before adding a second mp10 and moving the 40 to a larger tank. I had a few large fleshy lps and frogspawn and they all did well. I use a reeflink rather than mobius. I wonder if modius is reporting the correct info on the mp40?

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a rock in front of it. That's what I did in my 24x24 cube. Flow is perfect now. Running lagoon at 5% max.

For about a year I ran at 20% max and many of my Euphyllia exhibited slow tissue recession from the flow being too strong. Been running for 4 months or so at 5% and my tank has never looked better, and the PE on the corals is amazing.

Also the random flow is overrated for LPS. The MP40 mixing with the returns is more than random enough.

My tank is 99% LPS.

Here's a 1 Minute video and you can get a feel for what the for is like.

OP
OP
Max Blais

Max Blais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran one on the back wall of a 24x20x20 inch tank along with an mp10 on the back wall. I ran it at 15% if I remember correctly before adding a second mp10 and moving the 40 to a larger tank. I had a few large fleshy lps and frogspawn and they all did well. I use a reeflink rather than mobius. I wonder if modius is reporting the correct info on the mp40?
This is what i am getting at 15% and get pretty much the same at 1%.. i just feel like its constent blasting at anything that is in front of the tank and it never slow down. This is mid tank 12" from front glass.. anything on sandbed or lower on rock is also getting alot of flow.. it would be fine if the pump would slow down like it is on feed mode and hit like this sometime but its just never slow enough

Attachments

• 20230205_133010.mp4
    48.9 MB
OP
OP
Max Blais

Max Blais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a rock in front of it. That's what I did in my 24x24 cube. Flow is perfect now. Running lagoon at 5% max.

For about a year I ran at 20% max and many of my Euphyllia exhibited slow tissue recession from the flow being too strong. Been running for 4 months or so at 5% and my tank has never looked better, and the PE on the corals is amazing.

Also the random flow is overrated for LPS. The MP40 mixing with the returns is more than random enough.

My tank is 99% LPS.

Here's a 1 Minute video and you can get a feel for what the for is like.

I wish i could put something in front but pump is in top back wall left of the rock work.. maybe pump is not placed properly? I tried different spot but its always too much flow. Flow look a lot like yours at feed mode so i guess i paid 500$ to run the pump on feed mode

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could put something in front but pump is in top back wall left of the rock work.. maybe pump is not placed properly? I tried different spot but its always too much flow. Flow look a lot like yours at feed mode so i guess i paid 500$ to run the pump on feed mode
If your picky like me you paid it to not have any cords in your tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g tank and I run 2 MP40s at 45% in lagoon mode with no issues for my tank so not sure why you are having to run it so slow. Mine are 3 inched below the water line.

OP
OP
Max Blais

Max Blais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g tank and I run 2 MP40s at 45% in lagoon mode with no issues for my tank so not sure why you are having to run it so slow. Mine are 3 inched below the water line.
What is the distance between the pump and glass ? Maybe 30" is not enough and the flow hit the glass too fast ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the distance between the pump and glass ? Maybe 30" is not enough and the flow hit the glass too fast ?
I tried mine on the back wall but was not getting balanced flow in all areas and sand blowing. I run them on the sides now anti sync. Tank is 36 inches wide. Provides nice surface ripple and high flow for my SPS and moderate flow down low for my LPS and softs.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Max Blais you could always get an anemone guard to diffuse the flow. Take a look at the Nempprotect guards from Wavemaker Guards. They have one that’s specifically for the MP40

OP
OP
Max Blais

Max Blais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Max Blais you could always get an anemone guard to diffuse the flow. Take a look at the Nempprotect guards from Wavemaker Guards. They have one that’s specifically for the MP40
Well i just cheked on brs and there is a bad review about them reducing the flow too much... it might be it for me then. I just ordered one! Ill try this before swapping to another pump. Thanks a lot !

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can
Just move the pumps or rocks. You've got to do something different. My Lps have done so much better in the low flow.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything else
That's true but there are some good research videos showing how higher flow increases photosynthesis and coral growth in our tanks.

This is why these videos are dangerous. More flow does not necessarily mean better coral growth for all corals. If your blasting LPS I can guarantee they will not do as well as they do in lower flow. There's a reason there are different flow recommendations for different types of corals.

The OP is specifically asking about his lps, and more flow does not mean better growth in this case. I've personally experienced this and have a very similar setup to the OP, hence the reason for my recommendation.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 3's running at 10%. Also have VCA nozzles everywhere. I know all about too much flow hitting the front glass. Bout killed a few hammers. Hammer side nero runs 1 sec pulse, they like the quick back n forth.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything else

This is why these videos are dangerous. More flow does not necessarily mean better coral growth for all corals. If your blasting LPS I can guarantee they will not do as well as they do in lower flow. There's a reason there are different flow recommendations for different types of corals.

The OP is specifically asking about his lps, and more flow does not mean better growth in this case. I've personally experienced this and have a very similar setup to the OP, hence the reason for my recommendation.
I agree blasting LPS is not a good idea but with a mixed reef tank I have to have different areas of flow. Some with high flow and some with low to moderate flow. I just found it interesting how the scientific research conducted in the video showed higher levels of photosynthesis and coral growth with higher flow which contradicts your opinion but each tank is different and smaller tanks like yours and the OP probably would do better with low flow due to the limited space.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back