MP40QD Rusted...

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by NAx0, Nov 5, 2018.

1. NAx0

NAx0 Member

is endemic of all pumps?
    Both at the same time?
    They are 3.5 years old, and I have done all the periodic cleanings since I started to see rust on the shaft and I had heard about totally rusted pieces.

Has it happened to more people?

Is it a defective manufacture? If so, they have already fixed it

I do not want to continue spending my money on a freshwater pump...

thks ! IMG_7566.jpeg IMG_7568.jpeg

jsker likes this.
    Tags:

2. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Yep, happened to me this summer, and I replaced the pump wetside. It seems pretty common after I did some looking around. I purchased my new wetside direct and the part was shipped pretty quickly.

DSC reef likes this.
  3. Burrito

Burrito Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

i have an extra wetside that i rotate between the 3 running mp40s in my tank. every week i clean one wetside so every 3 weeks they all get cleaned. by the time i clean it there is just some brown film on it and it takes about 5 minutes for the whole process. i do feel that for the price of these pumps they should hold up better

4. TheHarold

TheHarold Valuable Member

Contact Ecotech, they usually will allow you to swap it.

PedroYoung likes this.
  5. mitch91175

mitch91175 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I don't know if they will let you swap it out. I tried to get them to do so when mine did the same thing. Maybe it just depends on who you get on the phone. This is an issue with the pumps, the magnet will rust on you.

6. shoelaceike

shoelaceike Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Happened to me. They replaced it out of warranty.

7. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

There were issues with the magnets splitting right around the time the QD models came out. Not all of them, but some of them. 3-5 years is a pretty good service life for the wetsides, so replacement was probably warranted anyhow. I've got a few of that vintage; no splits yet, but I am going to replace them soon. BTW, don't clean the magnets with vinegar; its apparently corrosive to the plastic coating.

8. BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ Well-Known Member

You clean your powerheads every 3 weeks? That's extreme!

9. JBKReef

JBKReef Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I would reach out to Echotech. Even if they are out of warranty if you've been owner all this time and have not had issues before they might not replace for free but could come down on a reasonable price for replacement. I had an issue with my dry side and they replaced that for about $25 msrp

10. NAx0

NAx0 Member

Thks for the answers!

possibly if it is a good time of use, but nobody said that it had to be replaced, like the tires of cars.

In addition to the risk, for the aquarium.
    It's a bomb!

I love Ecotech products, I have all of them, but I feel very cheated.

I buy a good product, with a high price because I trust it and these things do not help to continue renewing the equipment.

11. Potatohead

Potatohead Well-Known Member

Well, they do say the wet sides are good for 18 months or so. Also why worry about this when there is probably a cup of GFO in your sump :p

12. Burrito

its takes all of 5 minutes when done frequently

13. BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ Well-Known Member

I don't think I would want to clean a powerhead every week (even if different one). I used to keep my powerheads (different brand, not as fancy) in the tank for months or even close to a year then drop them in Vinegar for 24 hours. Never had problems. Sold them recently as used because I had a new set lined up.

BEFORE

upload_2018-11-5_16-5-5.png

AFTER

upload_2018-11-5_16-5-26.png

14. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Unfortunately mechanical devices wear out. I've had issues over the years with magnets splitting and swelling; and not exclusive to the vortech pumps. I think 5 years out of a wetside is pretty good, but only you can judge that for you.

15. BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ Well-Known Member

On a second note, it didnt matter that they were not as small, they blended right in with the background.

upload_2018-11-5_16-7-38.png

16. Burrito

i wouldnt clean my mp40s as often as i do if i had to remove all the wiring, the wetsides being wirefree is what makes maintenance a breeze, take it off, put new clean on on, clean the dirty one with running water and a brush and let it dry overnight.

i have an icecap 3k that i like alot but i put off maintenance on that pump alot more due to the wiring and annoyance of cleaning all the small parts of that pump.

DSC reef likes this.
  17. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I think 3.5 years from any aquarium magnet is fantastic. All you have to do is let your magnets slap together once and they will likely be damaged. With these stronger magnets, letting them slap together is like hitting them with a hammer. The plastic can't hold up. As careful as I try to be to keep this from happening, I still have it happen on occasion. I cringe every time and hope I dodged a bullet. I do keep a closer eye on any magnets I've had that happen with.

DSC reef and ksed like this.
  18. Larry L

Larry L Well-Known Member Partner Member 2019

Seems like a shame that a pump that costs hundreds of dollars can only be expected to last 18 months or a couple years... I have 10 year old MaxiJets that are still going strong.

19. BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ Well-Known Member

That's how I feel...

20. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

With an Vortech you pay for the name, the R&D and the controller. At least a replacement wet side is only $75.

wesman42 and Fin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted