Multibar Angels from Reef Pro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting my experience here as I left a review on their website, but I don't know if it will actually be displayed because it was rather negative.

A little background, multibar angels (Paracentropyge multifasciata) are my favorite angelfish, period. Something about their body shape, high contrast, and small size makes them irresistible to me (to a fault), despite how notorious they are to get eating. I'm very ashamed of this, as I keep attempting to keep this fish in the hopes that one day I'll get lucky and have one that eats. If my counting is correct, I've had 7 of these in the past 5 years, none of them even glanced at foods I've offered them, including the most recent two from Reef Pro. It's endlessly frustrating and gut wrenching, so I told myself these last two from Reef Pro would be my last attempt at this fish unless I can get some captive bred from Bali Aquarich or Biota.

With this in mind, my experience with Reef Pro was disappointing as well. I ordered two of them back in September. They email me before they ship the fish, asking if I was trying to get a pair since I ordered two and offering me two that had been living together (and eating, supposedly). I eagerly said yes to that offer and was impressed with Reef Pro's attentiveness. Of course, as lucky as I am, the fish get lost in the mail. Incredibly painful to watch that Fedex tracker. I email Reef Pro about the situation, they confirm that Fedex lost them, and look into getting me replacements with another shipping charge.

It takes them around a month to get more of the angels back in stock, which they notified me of, and then explained they wanted to hold them a couple weeks so they can do their "conditioning." Great. I'm so excited at the prospect of keeping this fish successfully that I have no problem waiting. The day comes, they ship the fish, and they arrive in great condition.

Right off the bat, I notice that, while healthy, the two individual angels are not getting along in my QT, in spite of the size (around 40gal) with plenty of hiding spaces. Nothing unusual, just disappointing going from getting a supposed happy pair to this. I think, "no problem, as long as they eat, when they move into the big display maybe they can settle their differences."

Obviously, this doesn't happen. I tried numerous foods to entice them to eat. I ask Reef Pro what they were supposed to be eating at their facility. They send me a list of the basics: mysis, nori, etc. Obviously, these foods were some of the first I tried with not even a glancing interest, on top of options that really should be enticing to most benthic feeders (Arctipods, live blackworms, live mussels, live oysters, chunks of krill, PE mysis smeared onto live rock/mussel shell/coral skeletons): still nothing.

I'm totally lost at this point. Reef Pro says in an email: "these fish are extremely sensitive and need time to adjust to the stress from shipping before they eat again" or something like that. I'm not buying it. I've had other species of fish eat straight out of the bag plenty of times; it's clear when fish are eating before you get them, because there's at least interest. These two multibars acted like every single one before them, not even looking at the food like there was a possibility that it was edible to them. This long rambling post is all to say I feel like I've been lied to, paying over 600 USD for supposedly "conditioned" angelfish. Would you not assume that "conditioned" means at the bare minimum that they eat?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got three from three different stores, and two of them were eating. I just trusted the first store, and that was a mistake. The two that were eating were doing well for about a month but randomly ended up dying. One was eating frozen brine, mysis and clams. The other was eating frozen brine, mysis, clams and live brine. I’m confused and saddened cause they are one of my if not my favorite angels also. I don’t care about the money but just feel bad that they passed. I tried everything for the first one I got even masstick and it didn’t work but had good luck with the other two. It probably helped a lot that they were eating at the store. Wait you paid $600 for two?

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got three from three different stores, and two of them were eating. I just trusted the first store, and that was a mistake. The two that were eating were doing well for about a month but randomly ended up dying. One was eating frozen brine, mysis and clams. The other was eating frozen brine, mysis, clams and live brine. I’m confused and saddened cause they are one of my if not my favorite angels also. I don’t care about the money but just feel bad that they passed. I tried everything for the first one I got even masstick and it didn’t work but had good luck with the other two. It probably helped a lot that they were eating at the store. Wait you paid $600 for two?
They were 200 each, around 50 shipping, then another 50 shipping, so closer to over 500. That's the thing, I could get another few from a different source for 90 each with the same poor results. I was supposed to be paying for "conditioned" fish, that's what Reef Pro promotes. That's one reason I feel so burned.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one for $150 which was the one that didn’t eat anything. The other two were $120 and $100 and they ate everything. I don’t trust online in general, alwaygoos to see the fish eating at the store before buying them

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one for $150 which was the one that didn’t eat anything. The other two were $120 and $100 and they ate everything. I don’t trust online in general, alwaygoos to see the fish eating at the store before buying them
I would if I could. No stores near me have the lack of common sense to bring them in. I actually ordered one through the store I work at once (from Quality Marine), and that was probably the healthiest one I've ever seen come in. Still no luck. I just seem to be very unlucky.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if I could. No stores near me have the lack of common sense to bring them in. I actually ordered one through the store I work at once (from Quality Marine), and that was probably the healthiest one I've ever seen come in. Still no luck. I just seem to be very unlucky.
The stores that I got the two that were eating actually kept it for me until it ate!

Reef Pro

Reef Pro Complete --> Reefprostore.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reef2Reef Community,
We are very sorry you feel that way. We can assure you all the fish that leave our facility are inspected for quality and we ensure they are eating. We held onto these angelfish for close to 2 weeks to make sure they were very healthy. These angelfish however are incredibly sensitive animals and when stressed or not placed in the proper environment will refuse food. Here at our facility, we keep this specie with plenty of live rock as it is a rock dwelling angelfish. The first angelfish we shipped to Mr. Becker was a pair that was getting along, however that package was lost by FedEx. According to our DOA policy, we do not cover carrier-related delays. In addition, Mr. Becker signed off acknowledging he agreed to the terms and conditions of this DOA Policy. We offered our livestock protection which covers against carrier delays, lost packages etc. , however, Mr. Becker declined. According to our DOA policy, we did not have to send Mr. Becker replacement angelfish as he declined our additional insurance. However, we value our customers and since it was Mr. Becker's first time shopping with us we wanted to make sure he had a pleasurable experience. We did a courtesy and replaced both Multibar Angelfish just asking him to pay the replacement shipping. When Mr. Becker placed his order he ordered 2 Multibar Angelfish, not a pair. When ordering 2 of the same species there is no guarantee they will get along. The first shipment of fish we were lucky to get a pair. However, Mr. Becker should have expressed to us he only wanted them if they were getting along so we can make sure of it before we shipped it to him. Once again we are sorry you feel that way however we can assure you all the fish the leave our facility are in good health and eating.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reef2Reef Community,
We are very sorry you feel that way. We can assure you all the fish that leave our facility are inspected for quality and we ensure they are eating. We held onto these angelfish for close to 2 weeks to make sure they were very healthy. These angelfish however are incredibly sensitive animals and when stressed or not placed in the proper environment will refuse food. Here at our facility, we keep this specie with plenty of live rock as it is a rock dwelling angelfish. The first angelfish we shipped to Mr. Becker was a pair that was getting along, however that package was lost by FedEx. According to our DOA policy, we do not cover carrier-related delays. In addition, Mr. Becker signed off acknowledging he agreed to the terms and conditions of this DOA Policy. We offered our livestock protection which covers against carrier delays, lost packages etc. , however, Mr. Becker declined. According to our DOA policy, we did not have to send Mr. Becker replacement angelfish as he declined our additional insurance. However, we value our customers and since it was Mr. Becker's first time shopping with us we wanted to make sure he had a pleasurable experience. We did a courtesy and replaced both Multibar Angelfish just asking him to pay the replacement shipping. When Mr. Becker placed his order he ordered 2 Multibar Angelfish, not a pair. When ordering 2 of the same species there is no guarantee they will get along. The first shipment of fish we were lucky to get a pair. However, Mr. Becker should have expressed to us he only wanted them if they were getting along so we can make sure of it before we shipped it to him. Once again we are sorry you feel that way however we can assure you all the fish the leave our facility are in good health and eating.
Yeah that's all well and good, but I did email your sales department saying I wanted a pair out of them, and got no email of reply before shipment. My QT is around 40 Gallons with plenty of liverock and artificial caves. No aggressive fish. No extreme hyposalinity. I know what I am doing in regards to angelfish and I'm no stranger to "expert only" species. I declined the additional insurance because it covered losses in transport, nothing else (from what I understand). I would've ordered a pair, but your website did not list pairs as they do now, which is also a WYSIWYG option from what I understand.

I know it's your word against mine at the end of the day, but these fish did not even show an inkling of an interest for any foods I offered, planktonic or benthic. Not unusual, but I just don't see how you could say they were eating when they acted like every other multibar I've dealt with before.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stores that I got the two that were eating actually kept it for me until it ate!
I work for a fish store. My boss (who has been in the business for over 50 years) doesn't have the money to take risks with fish like that. He has done plenty for me in terms of getting me the fish I want (like barely charging me more than the wholesale costs), but he has his sensible limits. I also don't want to ask him to keep bringing in these fish to watch them die (same thing I told myself) and forcing him to eat the cost.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's all well and good, but I did email your sales department saying I wanted a pair out of them, and got no email of reply before shipment. My QT is around 40 Gallons with plenty of liverock and artificial caves. No aggressive fish. No extreme hyposalinity. I know what I am doing in regards to angelfish and I'm no stranger to "expert only" species. I declined the additional insurance because it covered losses in transport, nothing else (from what I understand). I would've ordered a pair, but your website did not list pairs as they do now, which is also a WYSIWYG option from what I understand.

I know it's your word against mine at the end of the day, but these fish did not even show an inkling of an interest for any foods I offered, planktonic or benthic. Not unusual, but I just don't see how you could say they were eating when they acted like every other multibar I've dealt with before.
Steve, you are incorrect in regards to the insurance. Our DOA policy does cover any losses during transit. However we do not cover any carrier related delays or lost packages. Your specific situation would have not been covered without the purchase of the insurance as it was a lost package. Completely out of the hands of Reef Pro Store. We replaced these fish as a courtesy.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, you are incorrect in regards to the insurance. Our DOA policy does cover any losses during transit. However we do not cover any carrier related delays or lost packages. Your specific situation would have not been covered without the purchase of the insurance as it was a lost package. Completely out of the hands of Reef Pro Store. We replaced these fish as a courtesy.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and I do appreciate that, but that doesn't change the fact that the fish weren't up to your supposed quality for the price. That's my gripe. The fish can be healthy as a horse, but if they don't eat, they're basically dead already.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the misunderstanding, and I do appreciate that, but that doesn't change the fact that the fish weren't up to your supposed quality for the price. That's my gripe. The fish can be healthy as a horse, but if they don't eat, they're basically dead already.
Like we stated earlier, we make sure all our fish are screened for quality and they are eating before they leave our facility. However stress from shipping and new environment factors can cause finicky fish to stop eating till they get use to the new surroundings.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like we stated earlier, we make sure all our fish are screened for quality and they are eating before they leave our facility. However stress from shipping and new environment factors can cause finicky fish to stop eating till they get use to the new surroundings.
You can keep saying that and I can keep not believing you, as there was no indication this is the case. I had the fish for over two weeks in a low light, clean, non-aggressive environment. I don't believe shipping stress can destroy a fish's appetite to the point where they act like they were never in captivity before. Thanks for the replies.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for a fish store. My boss (who has been in the business for over 50 years) doesn't have the money to take risks with fish like that. He has done plenty for me in terms of getting me the fish I want (like barely charging me more than the wholesale costs), but he has his sensible limits. I also don't want to ask him to keep bringing in these fish to watch them die (same thing I told myself) and forcing him to eat the cost.
Oh well I’m happy to have a store that does do that for me

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try this "Marshall island multibar" here. If not go with the Biota captive bred ones.
Have seen this article before. Doesn't mean much unless you can guarantee where they're coming from, which is almost never. I've gotten one from Quality Marine that had the yellow bars, still nothing. Healthiest specimen I've seen, just paced around the tank until it a month later.

Signed up for the biota multibars a long time ago, haven't been available for at least a year or two. Their venusta came up today, 3 hours after I got the email they're gone again.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about live animals? I don’t think anyone can control how an animal will react to/or after shipping and your not going to change my mind on that!

I remember ordering some finicky fish from Zoacollector years ago. He called after I placed the order to advise me to place the fish directly in display and not place in QT. I don’t remember all of his reasons for not QTing but I had success.

It was super awesome that they stepped up and sent out another pair of fish. I wouldn’t have. Will definitely be ordering from Reefpro in the future.

I personally do not make claims for DOA for fish or coral that die in the few days following. We’re talking about live animals and so much is out of the sellers hands. I feel like this only drives prices up. I would make a claim if item showed up on time and bags were cold or leaked out as that is something in the sellers control.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about live animals? I don’t think anyone can control how an animal will react to/or after shipping and your not going to change my mind on that!

I remember ordering some finicky fish from Zoacollector years ago. He called after I placed the order to advise me to place the fish directly in display and not place in QT. I don’t remember all of his reasons for not QTing but I had success.

It was super awesome that they stepped up and sent out another pair of fish. I wouldn’t have. Will definitely be ordering from Reefpro in the future.

I personally do not make claims for DOA for fish or coral that die in the few days following. We’re talking about live animals and so much is out of the sellers hands. I feel like this only drives prices up. I would make a claim if item showed up on time and bags were cold or leaked out as that is something in the sellers control.
While I agree with the idea that we don't know how live animals will react, ReefPro touts their fish as "conditioned fish," and while I may be over-reaching on that meaning, other retailers like Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy use the term conditioned as specimens that are healthy and eating.

While the multibar angels I got from ReefPro were healthy, they were not eating weeks after I received them and showed no indication they had been eating in captivity prior. Usually, if a fish is stressed from shipping and refuses to eat, they would still show SOME inkling of interest in food, especially if you offer them food they have taken previously, which ReefPro told me was simply "mysis and nori."

Now, I've attempted keeping multibar angels for years, and maybe I'm just the unluckiest aquarist out there, but after having around 7 individuals in my care (some of which were perfectly, fat, healthy, and alert when I received them), not a single one I have gotten to accept any foods. I've tried a bevvy of frozen foods, live blackworms, live mussels, live oysters, live baby brine, nori, masstick, food mashed in coral skeletons, food mashed in bivalve shells, and when I tell you their angels did not even glance at any of those foods as a potential meal, I mean any. They were housed in a dimly lit 40 gallon tank: no aggressive fish, plenty of hiding places, perfectly clean and well established. If they had eaten in captivity before and still wanted to, I believe they would have.

I'm sure ReefPro is a good supplier (if not a bit expensive, but who isn't these days?), and while I appreciate what they did for me as a customer, I don't like being lied to about the fish I'm receiving. Had the same issue with LiveAquaria DD around the same time: I received a fish that was clearly not fit to be sent to me (read: starved to the point of dying a day later). Same things came to my mind: is the WYSIWYG section of the biggest fish retailer on the internet not supposed to be fish that are well conditioned to captivity, eating and healthy?

Again, maybe I'm over-reaching, and I don't want to keep bad-mouthing ReefPro, but I just want to work with people that stand by what they're selling, and ReefPro just kept repeating themselves in this thread, which mean't nothing to me as I watched these supposedly conditioned fish slowly waste away. That's my full side of the story, take away from it what you will.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I want to bring this right back to the basics - we are dealing with live animals.

You keep saying you were lied to. Do you have any evidence that they weren’t eating when Reefpro was handling their care? You said that they seemed healthy when they arrived AFTER Reefpro cared for them for two weeks AFTER they replaced fish that they obviously shouldn’t have.

I think in the future it would be wise to request videos of these finicky type fish eating before purchase and be wary of vendors that refuse.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back