Multiple Clowns

Clowns4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got rid of a maroon that killed one of my beautiful female snowflakes(and most likely my two mandarins and scooter blenny) we've had for 5+ years. It didn't seem right leaving its partner alone so I bought 3 small clowns hoping one would pair. I got 2 small ocellaris and a black snowflake that all look great. However, as time has progressed all the small clowns seem to be bickering with each other. Will I have to get rid of some or will they be able to stay alive as they grow into adulthood? I now have 4 clowns in a 400 gallon tank and they all like to stay in my giant leather. Just don't want another maroon incident.

IMG-7697.jpg
IMG-7699.jpg

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess time will tell? They 100% could just work it out and live happy but as you have seen some times they don’t. Although Maroons are more aggressive clownfish so that probably was why. I’d say if your willing wait it out! BRS has also proven multiple clowns can live together kinda like African chiclids of fresh water where the more you have the more the aggression gets spread out. I’m assuming with you tank they will figure it out given time :)

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you could add some more Anemones? I really feel that it is a key factor to keeping multiple clowns. I have 10 clowns in a 65G with about 20 Anemones. They all have multiple Anemones just by themselves :)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let them figure it out. It’ll most likely end in each pair at opposite ends of the tank.
I see that you have anemones but getting more isn’t a solution to your problem...that doesn’t make sense. Lol

OP
OP
Clowns4Life

Clowns4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you could add some more Anemones? I really feel that it is a key factor to keeping multiple clowns. I have 10 clowns in a 65G with about 20 Anemones. They all have multiple Anemones just by themselves :)
I have about 20 anemones at the moment. For some reason they avoid them and all of them just sit in my 2 foot leather coral. My maroon, however, only stayed in the anemones and loved them (bit our fingers whenever we tried to take some out).

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 20 anemones at the moment. For some reason they avoid them and all of them just sit in my 2 foot leather coral. My maroon, however, only stayed in the anemones and loved them (bit our fingers whenever we tried to take some out).
What kind of Anemones do you have? The natural host Anemones for those clowns are gigantea and magnifica.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably why. Most of my clowns don't go for my bta. I recommend a large magnifica or gigantea. I bet the clowns would go in within a few hours.

OP
OP
Clowns4Life

Clowns4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably why. Most of my clowns don't go for my bta. I recommend a large magnifica or gigantea. I bet the clowns would go in within a few hours.
Alright thx! Will research into Magnifica/gigantea

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back