Multiple Tanks on One Sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hungrypede
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
1,622
Location
SF Bay Area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a build with multiple tanks running off of one sump? We’re tinkering with the idea of connecting in a 25g next to the 150g - in theory it doesn’t sound too complicated, but I’m hoping to see some set-ups that already have the kinks thought out.

Cheers!
 
And possibly an easy sump or skimmer overfilling issue when power or a return pump goes out.
 
Only problem I see would be to balance the water to avoid a flood when the power is off.

And possibly an easy sump or skimmer overfilling issue when power or a return pump goes out.
I would never attempt this without a large enough sump. With a large enough sump it becomes a non issue. Adding syphon breaks or / and check valves to reduce the back flow when pumps are off helps as well.
Skimmer will most likely over flow but I always shut down my skimmer any time I shut off returns an any system.
 
Maybe this is a late reply,but
I have 4 tanks plumbed into a common sump 75, 75, 40 and 20. I ran tubing to all from a manifold, going through a single return pump and uv. Had to install control valves for flow. Pvc drain to the sump that can be channeled through a filter roller or bypassed with valve controls. I did dual returns in case of backup in one line.
1 skimmer, 1 apex controller with triton, gfo/charcoal reactors and dosers for all 4 tanks in one 16x 40 sump. No problems over flowing, I cut power for pictures in the frag tank regularly. I love it. Looking at adding another 1-2 tanks to this system. You tune your working water level to accommodate for when you cut power, as long as sump is big enough. Also water changes are easy, I have a pump in the sump that pumps to a drain and a pump at mixing station that pumps into the sump.
 
I have a 40b connected with a 120. The 40 has a hang on overflow with a single outlet so I just used a T and 45 elbow to tie it into one of the drain lines of the 120. I do run separate return pumps so I don’t have to kill both tanks when I need to work in one or the other. Like others said I am still risking taking out both tanks should one get some disease.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 14.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new