Multiple yellow tang introduction.

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a new 200 gallon setup here in Hawaii and fortunately able to catch my own fish .. Im planning on introducing 3 yellows simultaneously , and was wondering if anyone has any info on wether it would be better to catch 3 juveniles and put em in together, or get a small, a medium and large in the hopes it might easily establish a pecking order with less fighting. Or will that just make things worse?
Any thoughts?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a new 200 gallon setup here in Hawaii and fortunately able to catch my own fish .. Im planning on introducing 3 yellows simultaneously , and was wondering if anyone has any info on wether it would be better to catch 3 juveniles and put em in together, or get a small, a medium and large in the hopes it might easily establish a pecking order with less fighting. Or will that just make things worse?
Any thoughts?
I would do three juvis all thrown in at the same time. I thought all live capture of reef fish was halted until they finish the environmental assessment. Residents are still allowed to collect live fish?

OP
OP
M

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do three juvis all thrown in at the same time. I thought all live capture of reef fish was halted until they finish the environmental assessment. Residents are still allowed to collect live fish?
From what i know i can still collect my own aquarium fish. I believe its only banned for commercial collectors.

OP
OP
M

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.02.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.02.12 AM.png
    618.6 KB · Views: 37

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so strange how can they enforce the ban if someone who's caught poaching can just say these fish are for my personal aquarium? Thanks for sharing that! And fyi I'm extremely envious haha. Fingers crossed they listen to what marine biologists are saying and just open it back up to commercial collection.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question haha but why would you have an aquarium of your local fish you can just go snorkel and see them anytime living in Hawaii ? I am just curious not really saying its wrong haha

Anyway on to your original question. If you add them in an acclimation box with 2 or 3 separate chambers that seemed to work for me when I add new fish . I like observing how they interact with each other from the safety of the box . I have also heard peop;le have success adding at night time or adding mirrors on the glass .

Good luck man I bet a small school of yellow tangs would look amazing !!!!!!!!!!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a question haha but why would you have an aquarium of your local fish you can just go snorkel and see them anytime living in Hawaii ? I am just curious not really saying its wrong haha
Probably because, not everyone can when ever they want. The weather may not allow it. Maybe they just want to sit down crack one open and just enjoy a reef tank while not worrying about having their hands and toes nipped at by aggressive fish.

OP
OP
M

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyway on to your original question. If you add them in an acclimation box with 2 or 3 separate chambers that seemed to work for me when I add new fish . I like observing how they interact with each other from the safety of the box . I have also heard peop;le have success adding at night time or adding mirrors on the glass .

Good luck man I bet a small school of yellow tangs would look amazing !!!!!!!!!!
I have an aquarium because just like everyone else in the hobby , i love having a beautiful piece of living art in my home that i can enjoy with my family when i get home from hard days work. Unfortunately , just like the majority of us, i don't get to go bob around in the ocean at will all day. :)

Thanks for the advice. i currently have 3 juveniles in quarantine divided by egg crates to see how they interact. They're certainly territorial little guys! always flaring up at each other.
Hopefully in the big tank they'll mellow out a bit!

OP
OP
M

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because, not everyone can when ever they want. The weather may not allow it. Maybe they just want to sit down crack one open and just enjoy a reef tank while not worrying about having their hands and toes nipped at by aggressive fish.
Exactly! Haha

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen tanks with multiple yt. But, we're talking around a herd of them, 5+ never hurts to try. Also, same size is best. If you get one who is large with smalls, the big one will kill the little guys. Usually.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess so that's probably the minority of people though . I would imagine
I have an aquarium because just like everyone else in the hobby , i love having a beautiful piece of living art in my home that i can enjoy with my family when i get home from hard days work. Unfortunately , just like the majority of us, i don't get to go bob around in the ocean at will all day. :)

Thanks for the advice. i currently have 3 juveniles in quarantine divided by egg crates to see how they interact. They're certainly territorial little guys! always flaring up at each other.
Hopefully in the big tank they'll mellow out a bit!
No worries I was just curious I know that if I lived in Hawaii I wouldn't have a tank haha

Do you pull inverts and corals too or just the fish? Seems like you have a LFS just in your backyard which would be pretty cool and make the hobby super easy haha . You can just get water, rocks , fish , snails, crabs in bulk !

OP
OP
M

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so strange how can they enforce the ban if someone who's caught poaching can just say these fish are for my personal aquarium? Thanks for sharing that! And fyi I'm extremely envious haha. Fingers crossed they listen to what marine biologists are saying and just open it back up to commercial collection.
Theres no shortage of them out where i dive!
the crazy thing is I regularly see 3 prong spear fishermen emerge with strings of 30 or more yellows, convicts and achilles tangs on their belts, and everyones patting them on the back. Nice catch bra!!! But should you wish to keep one alive and care for it, those same people want to burn your house down! Its a strange world!

OP
OP
M

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess so that's probably the minority of people though . I would imagine

No worries I was just curious I know that if I lived in Hawaii I wouldn't have a tank haha

Do you pull inverts and corals too or just the fish? Seems like you have a LFS just in your backyard which would be pretty cool and make the hobby super easy haha . You can just get water, rocks , fish , snails, crabs in bulk !
not allowed corals or inverts over here.
fish only.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres no shortage of them out where i dive!
the crazy thing is I regularly see 3 prong spear fishermen emerge with strings of 30 or more yellows, convicts and achilles tangs on their belts, and everyones patting them on the back. Nice catch bra!!! But should you wish to keep one alive and care for it, those same people want to burn your house down! Its a strange world!
That is crazy! So do people actually eat the tangs they spear with the risk of ciguatera poisoning? Screw that, no thanks, ill stick to cod and haddock. Can't die eating the bloody things! I think I would vomit for other reasons if I seen someone with a belt full of dead achilles tangs...

Back