Mushroom footing

Hitachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a mushroom that was propagated, sitting in a shot with some small rocks. It’s been about a week and it still has yet to foot. Any suggestions on how to help it along?
I have heard people mention securing it to the rock, but don’t understand what they are using to do that. Like what kind of netting are they using?
Have heard people use super glue as well, but I am not sure how I feel about super glueing a mushrooms foot. That seems wrong since the mushroom uses that foot and would not be able to release from super glue.

Thanks

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take it out and put it in a little basket with some rubble and set it in a low flow area of the tank. I know there’s a way to use a rubber band to hold them down but haven’t done that.

the super glue thing also doesn’t work because they are really slimy. I tried multiple times before I gave up and let it go. I have one in my 5 gallon that I just set in and it footed itself.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Hitachi

Hitachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take it out and put it in a little basket with some rubble and set it in a low flow area of the tank. I know there’s a way to use a rubber band to hold them down but haven’t done that.

the super glue thing also doesn’t work because they are really slimy. I tried multiple times before I gave up and let it go. I have one in my 5 gallon that I just set in and it footed itself.

image.jpg
Yeah, I thought the shot glass would work better than the basket. I tried the basket and it didn’t seem to work well.
I have heard the rubber band thing as well, but I have also heard something about it causing the mushroom to split, not sure about that though.
I have definitely heard of people using some kind of netting to secure the mushroom to a rock until it foot, but have no idea what kind of netting they are using. (Mesh I assume of some sort, or something like panty hose, but I really don’t know just speculation).

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought the shot glass would work better than the basket. I tried the basket and it didn’t seem to work well.
I have heard the rubber band thing as well, but I have also heard something about it causing the mushroom to split, not sure about that though.
I have definitely heard of people using some kind of netting to secure the mushroom to a rock until it foot, but have no idea what kind of netting they are using. (Mesh I assume of some sort, or something like panty hose, but I really don’t know just speculation).

from what I’ve heard is as long as you don’t put the rubber band too tight you should be good. I know that Remy from the bahama lhama YouTube channel has a video on how to do it. I believe he goes over the mesh as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do NOT glue it down. For many years, one simply secures it to the chosen rock with a loose rubber band to hold it down forcing it to take foot. and then simply cut the band away once it is attached

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Just released these used netting From onion
Bag with rubble chunks, rubber banded together and just left lots of room for them to float and anchor. These are collections from mother rock full of mushrooms that float all over the tank.
Debra

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back