Mushroom identification and light requirements

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Could you help me identify this species of mushroom?
I am going to be getting rid of my other corals and going with FOWLR system, but I wanted to keep these guys as they create a nice covering. I am also selling my lights as I won't need the reef lighting anymore, I have a glass lid and was just going to have some normal lights lighting it. I know these guys don't usually need high lighting, but just wondering if normal white LEDs would be fine.. Otherwise I would sell them too.

IMG_20200528_091004.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue discosomas, I think the designer name is "ultra blue stripe". Say goodbye to that rock, the take over is in progress:) I agree with @fishguy242 about the lighting... low to moderate. Mushrooms especially discos are hearty, as long as you keep them low or near the bottom of the tank you should be fine.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i think they will do fine under any light,just be careful w fish only ,they are not lunch ;)

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I changed my lighting yesterday. I got 4 x 10 watt LEDs (3 blue, 1 white). They are actually outside garden LEDs, but they seem to be lighting up everything nicely..

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I changed my lighting yesterday. I got 4 x 10 watt LEDs (3 blue, 1 white). They are actually outside garden LEDs, but they seem to be lighting up everything nicely..

Its not just about wattage when it comes to lights. Aim for proper spectrum 1st, then wattage and everything else. You can have 500W, but if it has completely wrong spectrum, corals will not survive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back