Mushroom splitting?

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 2 month old tank and got a purple mushroom from a local friend in the hobby. It was a little bit on the smaller side when I first got it. I let it attach to some rock rubble and then glued down the rock rubble to a rock in my tank. It had been upright for a good 2 weeks and just today I noticed it was drooping to the sode, but it looks huge! This is one of my first corals to ever own, so I would be very excited if it is splitting! If anyone has any experience please let me know! The pic of the mushroom in the cup was when I first got it, the second pic was from about a week ago and the last 3 are from today. (sorry my clownfish loves to photobomb)!

48B0E8E0-5E6E-47FD-87DC-F46D40BFBEA2.jpeg C678FD4A-F0A7-4F56-B271-BF6958E80002.jpeg 91F8F4FC-B269-4E71-8963-028B31DD5C08.jpeg 1659E01A-9FBF-48D6-B6E6-8BA06A2DACC0.jpeg 51DEFB4E-355E-4AEC-89BE-F63A1E4307FC.jpeg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like it is just moving. Mushrooms do that. As it moves though, it will leave behind pieces of its foot and those pieces will become new mushrooms. That is how both my Indigo Discosoma and Burning Iguana Discosoma have reproduced in my 29 gallon.

My Aquaman Rhodactis Mushrooms have reproduced by splitting. It is noticeable when it happens, because the mushroom will begin to pinch halfway and wil keep pinching until it separates into two halves. My Aquaman started as one, and now consists of 6 mushrooms with one of them currently starting to split. I will post a pic of it later for reference for how splitting looks, but I am not home right now so it will have to wait until I go back from visiting my parents.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like it is just moving. Mushrooms do that. As it moves though, it will leave behind pieces of its foot and those pieces will become new mushrooms. That is how both my Indigo Discosoma and Burning Iguana Discosoma have reproduced in my 29 gallon.

My Aquaman Rhodactis Mushrooms have reproduced by splitting. It is noticeable when it happens, because the mushroom will begin to pinch halfway and wil keep pinching until it separates into two halves. My Aquaman started as one, and now consists of 6 mushrooms with one of them currently starting to split. I will post a pic of it later for reference for how splitting looks, but I am not home right now so it will have to wait until I go back from visiting my parents.
I thought I saw some if it pinching in half, but its really hard to see since the edges of the mushroom kind of “ruffle.” It did start at the top of the rock and is climbing down, so I’m hoping I’ll have som new mushrooms to frag and put on other parts of my rock work. Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back