Mushroom Tank

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stoked to see a new post in this thinking it was an update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the updated pics? :pout:

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a couple different things happened that have delayed the pics. Some of the shrooms I got came in lets just say not very healthy. Sexy Mike fixed that immediatly and I have everything now. However, my blue lights went out due to my wife pulling some wires while cleaning and I've been working so much and having my first child that it wasn't my main priority.lol Last night I repaired the lights and actually moved the tank to a different room because my wife wasn't too thrilled with it being in the kitchen. When I get home this evening I will atempt to get some shots taken. I will tell you it is absolutley gorgeous! Actually, it's the favorite tank of most that come over.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking good!!

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having atomic reef build me a black acrylic canopy to mount the metal frame in. I will still be using the PVC stand. I'm going to make it a little higher up though because the way it sits, it is hard to do anything in the tank without moving the lights. Then I cant see what I'm doing. Everything is looking pretty good. One thing I have ran into is that mushrooms do not like to stay where you put them. So now I have about 10 shrooms/ricordea on the bottom left of my tank. As soon as I get the new light fixture set up I will add more pics.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the last post there have been a few changes. The water quality was definitely lacking on such a small tank without excellent husbandry routinely. I had a pretty bad hair algae outbreak and the shrooms shriveled up pretty bad. They are all still there just don't look as healthy as I would like. I added a biocube protein skimmer and bought a airpump that has the flow adjustment built into the pump itself and I really like how it is skimming. Before I bought this particular pump, a normal regulator didnt have the prcision you need to run this skimmer. It is very touchy. I also began running phosban in the HOB filter. Everything is starting to look much better. I now have the acrylic canopy on there and raised the lights which is making maintenance a lot easier. I will post a pic in just a moment. It does not have the PS or phosban running at the time it was taken. I will update after a couple of weeks to see how the water quality has improved.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1362427191995.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW.. I'm a big sroom fan! mostly 'cause they like me. So that makes me like them... LOL

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck. hope you get the water quality to where you want it. sure would look awesome to see a tankful of shrooms. :)

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna get it there, I really have slacked in water changes. Thats the main problem in my opinion. I now do a weekly 2.5 gallon change!

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna get it there, I really have slacked in water changes. Thats the main problem in my opinion. I now do a weekly 2.5 gallon change!
:clap2: You'll get it there....slow and steady wins the race

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that mush room like 450nm royal blue combine with 660nm red but becarefull cause algae loves those two spectrum.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the royal blue, but red makes me nervous, from my reading the red spectrum over over powered is detrimental to corals. Plus, I'm already fighting algae, I don't want to give them more ammo. Lol

Thanks for the comments guys, its a fun one.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red is the first color to filter out in sea water, so less red reaches wild corals as the water deepens.
Blue is the last color to filter out.

So that" ..'splains that, Ricky".

I ♥ srooms!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back